Non-Adjustable Cheek Piece

lckytylr

Not sure if this should go in the Gunsmithing section, as I'm not a gunsmith and this project is nothing more than woodworking . . . so feel free to move it if there's a more suitable place.

With my new Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50, I had to mount the scope a little higher than I'm accustomed to, which meant that when my cheek was fully welded to the stock, I couldn't see through the scope. I searched and I searched and I searched some more, but I couldn't find a cheek piece that I liked. The adjustable ones all have big knobs sticking out of them and I really don't need to "adjust" it once it's on. The soft pads all either tie on or strap on and none of them seemed like what I was after. The rubber ones that can be "post mounted" didn't fit very well even after x-acto alterations.

So, I decided I was going to make my own.

I helped cut up several cherry and black walnut trees last time I was visiting my parents%2

Last edited:
Then I used a barrel bedding tool to cut out the inside contour to match my pattern lines.

2013-01-26_20-15-44_259_zpsc2874f8d.jpg

It took a lot of fine-tuning to get it so that there was a nice clean seal between the wood and the stock. It's still not perfect, but getting close.

2013-01-27_20-39-17_400_zps6c01a5b9.jpg

541f697c-4b9e-4889-a36e-37cd1fc97743_zps544bd77c.jpg

Next came the tricky part . . . how to secure it to the stock.

As you have probably guessed, it needs to be removable so that I can remove my bolt for cleaning or field stripping.

First I tried industrial strength velcro. MISERABLE FAIL.

I spent 3 evenings trying to recess the velcro strips into the stock and into the wood.

2013-02-03_20-05-43_644_zpse64d2dec.jpg

2013-02-03_21-01-18_45_zps54941d13.jpg

The Velcro was a complete waste of time and I REALLY did a number on my stock while I was trying to inlet for the velcro.

It just didn't hold as well as I had hoped it would.

I kind of assumed that it wouldn't hold REALLY well, but I was hopeful that it would have been better than it was.

Back to the drawing board, I finally gave in and decided that I needed a mechanical connection. I batted around the idea of a slotted track system (like a tongue and groove). I was thinking that if I had a metal channel (groove) and a metal slide (tongue), that maybe it would hold up for a long time and still give me the strength and stability that I was after, but I could never settle on the metal components that I had in mind. I ALMOST went to a HVAC shop to have them bend me up something, but figured they would think it annoying.

Sooooo, I finally caved in and went with a plain ol' nuts-and-bolts approach.

Ace Hardware was my one-stop-shop. They had the allen-head bolts, recessed nuts and washers that I was after. I used several different sized drill bits to work up to a hole size that was close to the outside diameter of the washer. For the finishing touch, I used my dremmel with a router-style depth gauge to get a nice finish around the edges of the hole.

2013-02-10_11-36-08_847_zpscca78fe8.jpg

Next I used Gorilla Glue to secure the washers into the wood recess. Next I counter-sank the nut into the stock and secured it, again, with Gorilla Glue.

Resampled_2013-02-10_11-36-17_987_zps35406a06.jpg

2013-02-10_13-04-24_312_zpscdfdaffd.jpg

Once the glue set up, I removed everything and scraped off all of the excess glue with the X-acto knife and cleaned everything up.

This is NOT the finished product, as I have some intricate plans for decoration, but it's close.

Still to come:
Final Sanding (250 and then 400 grit)
Decorate
Stain
Seal

Resampled_2013-02-10_12-13-29_194_zpsec14a5e4.jpg

I have seen military guys use a wood spacer w/2 pins that just point down into stock,that is then covered by a stock pack,such as a eagle.Simple ,easy and the pack is nice for bullets,range card,etc.There is a video on here for scope mounting that shows it.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.