No more catagories please??

lazylabs

I really like this site and believe a lot has been lost since the creation of 400 topics. I know there is a fine line between separation of discussions and going too far....... MY opinion is it's a little too defined to get good chat going. I know just for me that checking 100 topics is too much. I just check bullets/barrels and equipment discussions.......how about everyone else?? Just don't want to see things drop off due to confusion and seperation??????

I visit fairly often and the first thing I do is go to "quick links" and "Todays Posts". Shows every new post for the last day and I don't have to look at every forum. Simply look at the thread, note if necessary the forum, and if I want to read it a simple little click and I'm there. I just never could see much sense in going to each individual forum to look for new posts. ;)

However, if it's been more than a day then you would have to look at the different forums.;)

From the time I initially click the icon on my desktop to load my browser to reading the first thread is only about 15 seconds or less.

Me too. I just hit handloading, long range hunting, BBB, and sometimes the general discussion. I've probably missed a bunch of good posts or questions I could have possibly answered because I simply didn't have time to go to every subsection.

I guess I could do what ss7mm does. Thanks for posting that tip.

I was pretty frustrated at first too. Then I found the "New Posts" link. All is well now cuz I try to check the site out at least every couple days and usually a couple times a day just looking for topics of interest to me.

Just when I was going to add 37 more categories! :D

But seriously, I appreciate your comments. Sometimes I wonder if a particular thread posted in, say..."Hogs" would have more play in "Long Range Hunting" or "General Discussion". That is probably so occasionally. But...I think we have much more discussion on some of the newer topics entirely because we draw attention to the subject with a separate forum.

For as long as I can remember I have been using "New Posts". I believe that it works beyond 24 hours unlike "Quick Links >> 24 Hours".

"New Posts" is the key to effective thread browsing even if we didn't have 729 separate forums. Maybe I should mention this tip in our June Newsletter. Thanks for the comments, guys.

Last edited:
I use New Posts also. Works great, shows me what's new since the last time I visited the site no matter how long ago it was.

Here is my take on the issue:

There seems to be more threads, posts, etc. dealing with topics that are unrelated to LongRangeHunting. For these issues I'd rather view one of the many other shooting/hunting sites. For instance, LRH seems to be an odd place to dicuss bowhunting equiptment, diesel engines and other odds & ends.

With that being said, it really doesn't bother me because I review this site often and use the "New Posts" feature. It covers all topics and it's easy to scroll through them to find those that I find interesting.

Len

I Like the site and the different categories and was even thinking
about asking you to add or change the Muzzle loading to "BLACK POWDER"
so it would cover the Cartrige guns.

And the way/order that I use the web site is to first look in USER CP for
responses to threads that I have posted in.

Next I open QUICK LINKS for the newest post .

And if I have been gone for a while 5+ days I open the NEW POSTto get
caught up.

With this method I dont open forums that have not been active saving time.

Thanks and keep up the good work. Hardly a day goes by that I don't learn
something on this site (except how to spell).

PS: I like having more than one thread it keeps things interesting and I dont
have to go to ten different sites to find the subject that I'm interested in
at the time.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
And the way/order that I use the web site is to first look in USER CP for
responses to threads that I have posted in.

And you probably know about the auto email notification feature for this same need?

Is there a possibility you could combine a few of the categories. For example in the animal section, separately list only the most interesting, combine most of the others. You may want to consider a poll and get a few recommendations for general categories.

I agree. I just dont like any of it now. I still go to the same 5 sections and the heck with all the rest of that new junk. I get cross eyed when I log in here now. Sadly it's becoming a huntingnet.com, it wont be long til the manhunters show up.

silvertip

Here is a simple suggestion for you. Just Bookmark or Favorite your 5 sections. Then open them without even looking at the others. Would that work for you?

I agree. I just dont like any of it now. I still go to the same 5 sections and the heck with all the rest of that new junk. I get cross eyed when I log in here now. Sadly it's becoming a huntingnet.com, it wont be long til the manhunters show up.
Don't let you inability to understand computers and how sites work and what their different features provide to the users get you into badmouthing a great site.

There have been many threads and posts about this recently and there have been several ways described that would let you do whatever you want without you having to be bothered with things you don't like. Check it out and make your life easier.;)

Search, read, listen and learn. It's easy to get just about anything you want, in just about any form you want it from this site.

Len can't please all of the people all of the time so I'd guess that if there are 11,000 or more users that he'll probably not change too much because a handful still need to figure it out.:rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts