NM unit 6C help

marioq

I got drawn for muzzy oct 4-8.
I know nothing if 6C. Wanted to see if anyone could help. Also to see if anyone who has last bow in 6c and lead me to the new they were following!!!!!

Anyway any help would be appreciated!!!

Also, any muzzy help. Looking at a TC triumph but I don't own one so this is my first.
Also looking at the rem 700 ultimate muzzleloader.
Any help and loads would would be great!!!!

Thanks

Mario

Don't know since they had the big fire that wiped out Dixons and burned the old ghost town of Bland down. When my parents lived up at Cochiti Lake we hunted that unit a few times. We would go up in the forest above Tent Rocks and hunt the south side. I found a few sheds but never saw an elk. They are in there as the paper carrier said he saw them every morning headed back up to the forest from the river bottom and I saw elk sign in there. We were in there for the rifle hunts so later in the year than you are going in.

I know there are some big bulls around Los Alamos but with the labs I would be afraid to hunt around there. I know the forest roads we were on would hit NM 4 out by the Valles Caldera west of Bandelier. You may want to try coming in north of Valles Calderas off 84 or 96 and see what is up there. About 30 years ago my first job was planting trees for the Forest Service up by American Park. I don't know if that is in 6C or 6A as it is off 126 to the north.

The one thing I can tell you if it rains it gets muddy as all get out by American Park. Pulled a F150 back up on the road and the Forest Service Scambler out of a mud hole with the winch on my CJ5. Took a sledge hammer to the bumpers of my Jeep and left about 100 pounds of mud in the driveway when I got home. Tire chains work great in mud as well as snow.

As far as muzzy goes I shoot a T/C Thunder Hawk in .50. I developed my elk load with a 250 grain SST or Shock Wave. I read up on using Pyrodex P in a .50 and it can be done but research it first. Over 90 grains and I start showing pressure on the caps so I don't shoot over 90 grains Pyrodex P. I would recommend using a different powder but for my T/C it is accurate and deadly on elk out to 200 yards but I like them closer if possible.

I hunted 6b last year and there were elk all over the place. I went oct 17th. They were still in the rut too. It was great!!!!
I planned on going north of Valle or just east on NM 4 where I saw a lot
Of the elk walking out if the big flat in the Valle. I'm just hoping someone from the bow season can help me out.

I will buy my gun soon then I'll start trying things. 250-300 gr bulkets I guess. Not really sure. Haven't even looked at options.

I appreciate the input. I will see how things go.
Thanks

Mario

I Bow hunted 6-c several years ago, but used a local outfitter. Did harvest a small 6X6 the second year I hunted with Mark.
If you do not know the area, or are not going in there with someone who does know the area, you will most likely come away with 5 days of very strenuous exercise.
Mark has lived in the area most of his life and he and his guides know that area as well as any one.
I highly recommend him if you decide to do a guided hunt.

Dave

New Mexico Elk Hunts | Rancho Rojo Outfitters

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.