Nikon 7i review

bstomper

I have had this range finder on back order since mid December and it finally arrived today. Read some good things about it so when cabelas Canada had them on sale for $320 I thought I would give it a try. Haven't had much time to play with it but it is supposed to range to 1300 yards. Just playing with it tonight in overcast conditions with what little light I had before dark it would consistently range, 10 times, the town water tower at 1033 yards and anything in between. I live in the Canadian north so it's tough to find open areas to range stuff but tomorrow I'll take it out onto the lake and see what it can do. Probably gonna have to find a friend with a dog to actually get to range an animal. Unless you catch something out on the frozen lake it pretty tough to find an animal in the open around here. So far I'm happy with it but the animal ranging will be the ultimate test. I will report back with what happens tomorrow.
Only thing I wish it had is the red reticle instead of the black.

Had some play time and here's the results so far. I was out on the ice on a lake. Overcast with very light snow falling. Ranged a light gray wood painted building at 1354 yards only once and couldn't do it again. Moved closer and could range it sometimes and sometimes not at 1307. Then the snow seemed to pick up a bit and couldn't range it again. Moved closer to 1255 and could range it consistently every time but it took about 5 seconds to get a reading. I was resting it on the seat of my snowmobile to steady it but it was still a bit shaky at those distances. The shakier I was the less consistent I would get readings. Makes sence. Along the groomed snowmobile trail on the lake there are markers that are made of the 1.5" wide X 3/8" thick wood marker post that you can but at the lumber yard. I could range everyone of those out to 917 yards. I know it was ranging them because there is one on each side of the trail and when ranging each one I would get readings within 1 yard or so. Also when I would try to range the shoreline behind them, which was a long way behind, I couldn't get a reading. Kind of confused though. I can range those markets but can't range a tree at those distances. The markers are a lot lighter colour than the tree though. Wonder if that has anything to do with it. Even lucked out and found someone walking their dogs on the lake. Could range the person out to 598 consistently until they turned around and started walking back. Could range the big dog (coyote size) at 612 yards, once he finally stopped moving. I tried ranging the big dog when he was quite a bit further when he was standing still but could get a range. He didn't stay still for long so I wonder if it wasn't long enough for the range finder to work. Not sure. That's all I have for now and will report back if anything new happens. Overall I'm happy so far but won't be completely happy till I see what it will do on a deer.

Had some more time to test out the 7i. My job consists of patrols of a large industrial complex so I took it there to test it on several types of buildings and other stuff. I should have started the first post but explaining that I have little experience with a range finders. This is the first one I have owned. I have used my brothers Leopold RX 1000 on a couple deer hunting trips but never really tested it. The best I ever got with it was just ove 800 yards on a horse. He is going to bring it up with him when he comes to visit in mid February so I can do some side x side comparison.
Anyway going on to my new testing. As I said I took it to work with me and tested it on two different days. The first one was clear and sunny and the next was an overcast cloudy with very light snow. The kind of day that makes the distant objects appear to be a bit lighter or faded kind of a look. To my surprise the range finder worked equally well in both conditions with no issues reading the same objects at the same distance on both days. On both days I ranged building out to 1246 yards with ease. These were metal clad building. There is a concrete smoke stack on the property that stands at 825 feet tall. The 7i had trouble ranging it out to distances past 500 yards. Not sure if it was the concrete or the round shape that was causing the issue. There are an abundance of power pole which I could range out to past 800 yards easily. Ranging bush (spruce trees)and rock ridges was easy out to the high 800s as long as the bush was thick. When I scanned over the thinner sections of bush it had trouble reading. Furthest I could get on thin leafless willow clumps was low 500's. Hills with snow was a hit and miss out to 800 yards. It seemed that the angle of the hill might of had something to with it but it would range any thing with snow out to 500 yards. Again I had no animals to test it on but I did try to range a raven sitting on the ground but it wouldn't do it. It was a long ways away though, probably 500-600 yard and was very small. The only problem I had between the two days of testing was the sun. If the bright sun hit the laser lens while ranging it wouldn't range but if I put my hand up to block the sun from directly hitting the Lens, it would range easily. This range finder may have ranged some of this stuff out to further distances but I was more that happy with it's performance. So far it seems like a great range finder at a great price. I will admit that I was a bit sceptical of nikons claims because of it's price, but it seems to be performing without issues. Now I don't do a lot of shooting of buildings, so that is irrelevant in the hunting world, but I'm hoping if it will range this stuff with ease it will range deer size and larger animals out to decent distances as well. As soon as I find some I will report back

Edit: just wanted to add that all things ranged on these two days were ranged form sitting inside a vehicle with the windows down and through the rangefinder lens there was a bit of a mirage effect from the escaping heat inside the vehicle to the cold outside. Not sure if a mirage will affect a rangefinder but thought I would add it just in case.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.