nikon 1200 range finder review

gyesko

I just purchased a used Nikon 1200 range finder has anybody used the Nikon that could tell me about performance faults?

They are a pretty decent overall unit but they are not without there faults. From the ones i have seen the glass was pretty good but the digital read out is black and i just aint a fan of that. I think it makes it hard to read in lower light conditions. You will not get 1200yds of effective repeatable use out of it so dont get your hopes up. I just grabbed one off of the shelf and did some quick ranges with it. I was able to get a repeatable range on a home satallite dish at 959yds on a overcast day. I was not able to get a range on anything at or past 1000yds though. Glass was better than i remembered also. We sell them for around 390.00 so i think they are a pretty good rangefinder for the money. Small, light, and camo makes them appealing also

take it easy
steve

I just got a Nikon 800 yard version and I was ranging cars driving away at about 802 yards. That's what it was reading I don't know if it was accurate. If you hold the button down it will continue to range and increase or decrease as the target moves. I tired it at dusk and the black is hard to see but if you tip it up to the sky then you can see it better. I can't get the backlight feature to work but that might help.

I got the 800 yard version because it was a little smaller and that is 1200 for reflective targets.

Shooting times for July reviewed the Nikon 800 that rates 11-800 yards and got 500yards on a hide and 700 on white boards.

They did the Leupold RX3 which says it will do 3-1200 yards, they got 600 on hide and 700 on white boards.

They did the bushnell Arc Elite 1500 that says 5-1500 yards range the hide got 800yards and the white board got 1000.

The best ever was the Lecia 900, rated from 10-900 yards, it read 1000 yards on the hide and white boards.

I always wanted a rangefinder and I really like the Nikon 800.

Joe Oakes

I bought my Nikon 1200 just after they came out,and ranged some targets while hunting with another fellow that had his Barr & Stroud military type range finder with him. Comparing ranges out to 880 yds. they were within 20 yds.of each other. The farthest range I've gotten so far was 1100yds. off a power line pole, and that was the only time I had a reading past 950 yds. Anything under 900 yds. it seems to be pretty consistent. Oh, by the way those long ranges you'd better be leaning on something rock solid or use a tri-pod.

Just tried out my 800 Nikon some more and I was able to get it to range out to 747 yards off a building. The next closest was a ways away but it kept saying that it was too far. But it did read more range than the magazine said. Being a brown building at about 1 hour before dusk.

Joe Oakes

I got one last year it works really great on cloudy days it ranges about 1000 and decent on sunny days ranged about 850 which is decent. Overall its a pretty decent product for the money factor.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.