Nightforce SHV or Vortex PST??

codyadams

Soooo....building a .260AI, hunting rifle, and I can get a Nightforce SHV 5-20 non illuminated for $1040, or a Vortex Viper PST 6-24 SFP for $570. I'm going to use it for steel shooting and target shooting out to around 1000-1200 yds, for hunting 800 or less. Not for competition. I know the nightforce is better, but is it that much nicer? That's a $470 difference. Thank you for any input

I have both. I have not had the SHV long enough to say if it is that much better. It is a lot better though. For what you plan to do with it, I would look at the Sightron SIII in 8-32 or 10-50. I have both of those and for target shooting they are hard to beat.

I like NF stuff anytime weight is not a concern, and for a hunting rifle that's seldom the case. I don't like the 6-24 magnification for hunting either. So...I don't like either of those. Sorry! I have a 6-24 PST on a heavy barreled 300 WM and it's a great scope, just too much magnification for hunting. 24x is useless since you can't easily reacquire the target after a shot and 6x is a bit much for the low end. I have a 4-16 PST on a hunting rifle and like it a lot. Great reticle, great turrets, and pretty good glass. My favorite scope is the VX-6 in 3-18x. Excellent glass, good reticle with the TMOA, fairly light at 20 oz, and a perfect range of magnification for hunting. Swap out the turrets for the TAC dials and it's about as perfect a hunting scope as you can find.

Ya Im kind of stocky, I have been packing heavy rifles for a long time, just my preference, the extra weight makes for an easier shot, especially the longer ones, in my mind anyway. This year I packed my 12 pound 308 for about 6 miles on elk opener, and got a small bull. I should have specified, weight is not of much concern for me, as long as I stay under about 13ish pounds.

Also, that magnification is not an issue for me either. I'm pretty good at picking up animals in my scope, my current optic is a 6.5-20x44, and I have killed 2 elk in thick timber under 100 yards with this scope, one was moving. So, the 6-24x50 is not too high for me. I would rather have better detail on the longer shots that take concentration and aiming small to make a good hit. The rifle I hunted with from when I first started elk and deer hunting at 12 till when I was 20 was a strait 6x Redfield 1" tube and 44mm objective, and I killed several elk and deer on the move in dark timber with that, so a 6X with a 30mm tube and 50mm objective will be no problem. I know that's not the same for everyone, a lot of people have troubles finding animals in their scopes, not sure why but everyone is different.

From what I'm seeing, the vortex tracks well and has decent glass, and considering my shots wont be much more than 1100 or 1200 yards at steel and under 800 for animals, I think the PST would be plenty for my uses...

Yeah, I'm a skinny guy so every ounce matters to me :D

I have the hardest time acquiring targets when I'm shooting prone. From a bench or standing/sitting isn't that tricky but for some reason my bearings get jacked up when I'm prone. With the 6-24 you could still use a lower setting for prone shots if you wanted. The PST is a really nice scope and I'm sure you'll be happy with it if the 6x low end doesn't bother you. 24x is super nice for shooting paper.

every ounce matters to me :D

lol, THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!! Sorry, couldn't help myself...what's deep technical discussion if you can't keep it light?? Ha ha.

But anyway...ya my brother in law always had the hardest time finding moving animals in his scope in any field position but offhand, and he had a 4-12, kept it on 4X. Another friend has a similar issue...I don't think it has to do as much with skill (even though practice always helps) as it does with just how a person's eyes naturally line up and focus, I think some people just have an easier time with it than others based on physical characteristics...just my thought based on observation, I may be way off ha ha

Just to add another option you can find used NightForce NXS's for just a little more than that SHV. The advantage of used is that if you dont like it you can typically get your money back out of it.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.