Nightforce Scopes

gbp

I am currently building a 6.5X284 that I would like to use for long range varminting and target, out to 1k yds. I have been thinking of mounting a Nightforce 5.5 x 22 x 56 NSX with either the NP-1RR or NP-R2 recticle and was looking for advice on witch one to go with. If anyone has tried either, feedback would be greatly appreciated.

ThanX in advance

I have three Nightforce NXS scopes, (1) 5.5x22x56 and (2) 12x42x56. All three have the Double Dot reticle. I love this reticle, it gives me a huge field of view when looking through the class.

Wildcat

Me and Bill Bailey sell the NF scopes and I will tell you they are amazing. Both the reticles you mentioned are excellent and there are advantages to both.

The NP-1RR is a great reticle. The ranging ability of the bottom part of the reticle is very useful. The circles cover 9" and the bottom line and the top line at the top of the circle covers 18". With this you can accuratly range a pdog using the circles and coyotes, or medium deer, using the lines out to 800 yds.

Personnaly i like the NP-R2 reticle more because I can use it to judge the amount needed to correct for misses. I can also use the reticle to compensate for bullet drop out to 1K in my 270AM.

Either way you decide to go you will be very happy with these scopes, they are astounding. If you want more info on them call 1-800-522-3314 and ask for Steve or BJ, we have several scopes in stock and I can try to answer any questions you would have

Take it easy
steve

I have 5 Nightforce scopes all with the NP-R2 reticle and I love this recticle I have one,5.5X22X50, three 3.5X15X50 and one 2.5X10X24 and I think that they are excelent

I have a 3.5-15x50 (mildot) and a 5.5-22x50 (MLR) and they are both very nice scopes. I have the 5.5-22x50 on my 6.5-284 - I really like both the scope and the MLR reticle for my long range shooting and tactical/unknown range competitions.

IMHO, I would rethink the 56mm objective. The 50mm is very bright, the extra brightness of the slightly larger objective is not necessary for most people and the 56 mm version is quite bulky, requiring increased ring height as well. The 50mms are already big scopes. . . .
YMMV.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lerch, have you or Bill took notice of the NP-R2 in both of the 3.5-15 and 5.5-22 NXS scopes. If not check them out. My partner Mikie / Tx has the 5.5-22 and I have the 3.5-15 on our 270AM's. Mine has 15 horizontal bars @ 2moa and his has 10 horizontal bars @ 2moa counting the cross hair down. So I guess I would get 10moa more out of mine than he would right? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have 2 8-32X56 NXSs. Both are on long range hunting/target rifles. One has the MLR and the other has the 1RR. I normally range all unknown distances with a rangefinder. I have been considering replacing the 1RR with the new R1 which is like the R2 but the vert. is 1 MOA instead of 2MOA and the horiz. is 2MOA rather than 5MOA. After speaking with Jeff Huber of Nightforce he has caused me to rethink my intent. Example, you are sighting in at 1K with the R2. Your bullet impact is 10" low. Would you just "hold over" on the next mark, or would you click up one minute? If you "hold over" on the next bar, you will be 10" high. If you click up one minute you will be right on. Even with reticles that have 1MOA graduations, you are much better off clicking 1/4 or 1/8 MOA especially the farther out you go. Furthermore the reticles like the R1, R2, MLR are very "busy" and may interfear with your concentration. Jeff says he can click up and down as fast as you can hold over and with more accuracy and this is what the Nightforce scope was designed to do, click up and down, left and right with repeatability. If you don't need a ranging reticle, you might consider a NP-1 or a NP-2DD. I may send in the other scope and have the 2DD replace the MLR. Hope this helps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
db

I have several NXS's all with the NPR2 except the 1-4 with a FC2. I really like the NPR2, and yes the 3.5-15x has a extra set of 2 moa bars. They do have a new reticule out the NPR1 it is simply a finer version of the NPR2 it has 1 MOA verticle and 2.5 MOA windage it is something to look at if you are using the reticule to range or hold over.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.