nightforce clarity

Buy one and be pleasantly surprised. How could you know unless you looked?

That's my point and the question that I've asked several times. Have you looked through them side by side on the same day in the same conditions. That is not clear since you have stated that you don't own a Nightforce

That's my point and the question that I've asked several times. Have you looked through them side by side on the same day in the same conditions. That is not clear since you have stated that you don't own a Nightforce

No - I have not looked through a NF and SIII side by side. Everything I'm typing now has already been typed and explained in prior posts.

For the record and for the 3rd time - I do not own a NF. I've explained this several times because you've asked the same questions several times. I did not compare a NF in the field side-by-side to my Sightron SIII. I compared the SIII side by side to my IOR, Zeiss Conquest, Leupold LPS, Leupold VX-3. I have stated my opinion that IOR glass is equal or better than NF glass. The SIII was the equal of the IOR glass in my field comparison. If you believe IOR glass is as good or better than NF glass, then logic allows for the deduction that the SIII glass is equal to or better than NF glass. That's the explanation - simple as that. It wasn't based on pixie dust. You may or may not reach the same conclusion. If you believe NF glass is better than IOR glass, then my field comparison and logic doesn't allow you to reach the same conclusion I do.

Now, have you compared Sightron SIII to NF? Have you compared SIII to any other brand of scope?. I understand your point but it cuts both ways. Do you understand my point? Let me ask you over and over and over again. Have you compared a Sightron SIII to any other brand of scope? You've never answered that question. If you've never layed eyes on a SIII, let alone performed any field comparison to any other scopes, the basis for your contentions would appear to be less supported than mine.

CS GunWorks
SPONSOR Join Date: Jun 2004

Re: Nightforce FFP scope

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some one asked me about the GLASS in the Nightforce NXS FFP Scope. I would say this glass is some of the best on the market also. I have compared the glass S&B, Premier Reticles, and USO. I feel most shooters would be hard pressed to say NF Glass is not as good as the others. Most guys that I had look through the NF NXS FFP, S&B, Premier, and the USO all set at 12x they said they could not notice a difference.

I really like the Nightforce Glass
916-670-1103 or 877-288-4137

That's what I'd say too if I sold them. The difference will show up @20-24 power. My scope ring lapping bar looks good at 1X power also.

I'm good with my SIII. If I sent it you, I'd never get it back after you looked through it.

I concider myself an optics buff. I have 3 brands of optics in my safe. 1: Swarovski x 3. 2: Leupold X 1. 3: Nightforce X 1 but have had 3. I feel qualified to offer a valid opinion here. You will have a hard time finding NXS glass to be on par with Swaro. Does that meen that its bad? No. Its great glass but not exceptional. You dont need exceptional glass for a rifle scope, you do need great glass for a scope and exceptional glass for binos and spotting scopes. This is why I own swaro spotting scopes and swaro EL binos. I would rather have a rifle scope that functions well for LR shooting and is VERY durable vs the absolute best glass. Now for finding critters in the first place that is another story. I want the finest glass period. My opinion is the NXS glass is better than average in the industry and MORE than adequete for LR shooting and hunting. It is still premium glass even if it falls a bit short of some of the german optics. The leupold mark 4 glass is great as well. Of course it is a fixed power scope which meens less lenses and better clarity. I am very impressed with the optical quality of that scope.

I have, for my viewing disposal 5-Swarovski's, 4-NSX's, 4-Mark 4's, 3-Older VX3's and 1-S&B.

Undoubtedly the S&B comes out on top for for clarity but not for brightness.

When I set the Swaro's and NSX's side by side the NSX's seem brighter and the Swaro's have better (not by much) resolution. But that is just me, we all know eyes are like fingerprints.....

The mark 4's......don't compare to the top three, they seem to have a yellow tint to them. Just like the older VX3'

Not wanting to start a flame but that is how I see it:).

But that is just me, we all know eyes are like fingerprints.....

Many sportsman dont have a clue in this reguard. One set of eyes will see better with one brand over another and vice versa. I learned this when I was shopping for binos a few years ago. I compared many side by side. I found that hands down the EL binos were the brightest and clearest where the Zeiss gave me a headache. It seemd as if one side had better depth and focus than the other and no matter how I adjusted them I couldnt see well at all. I would have rather had a pair of bushnell. Yet I know other sportsmen who swear up and down they see the best with the Zeiss and dont fair so well with the swaros. Quality glass doesnt always meen quality for you.

I have the new siii 8x32x56 sightron and I personally believe it is better than nightforce clarity. It is definately better than a Leupold M4 4.5x14x50 I have and a vxiii 4.5x14x40. I have not done a side by side test with nightforce only looked thru nightforce and wasn't very impressed as I was when I first looked thru the Sightron. Just my opinion, but if there is better glass, do you really need it? gun)

I've been researching scope quality and costs pretty avidly for the past 4 years so I appreciate the additional posts here and the sharing of members opinions on the quality of their various optics.

Meichele,

I'm just a little surprised in settling for some loss of clarity with your rifle scopes. I also haul a Zeiss spotting scope sheep hunting. The Spotters are mandatory. But there have been times when I get away from the spotting scope and have had to make due with my rifle scope. That's one reason I purchased 3-18x42mm IORs. Very good resolution. But they're less than ideal for packing around in the mountains as they weigh in at ~28oz.

I expect I'll switch my Sighton SIII over to my sheep rifle because at 24X, it remains sharp as a tack, and at 24 power I will see sheep horns, and count growth rings, far better than possible with my 8X Swaro binoculars or LRF. I don't plan to hunt sheep with my spotting scope 3/4 mile away, but it has happened to me more than once over the years. Hunt sheep long enough and you'll most certainly end up in a similar situation.

I haven't tried to judge the durability of the SIII in any of my posts yet, but I'm not reading about failures under recoil. I have tested my turrets and they are repeatable. Instead of 0.25"/100yds I'm getting a consistent 0.273"/100yds either up or down from my zero setting. I agree that reliability, durability, turret repeatability is key, but if I can get all those with equal or superior glass at 1/2 the cost, count me in.

My SIII weighs 21.9 oz, which for my Alaskan backpack hunting is a bonus compared to my IORs @28oz, or the similar NF scopes.

My power range preference would be something more like a 4-16 or 5-20x version, but I'm currently stuck with 6-24X. As I stated earlier, there are fewer options available with the Sightron SIII, certainly compared to NF. That's probably one method of keeping production and overhead costs down at Sightron.

If my SIII stands the test of time, I'm probably off the market for either NF or IOR. I'd rather purchase two SIIIs right now than receive one NF or IOR for the same cash. If Sightron comes out with some other power options, I will likely sell one of my IORs. I started replacing all my Leupolds 4 years ago. Now I'll start replacing the scopes that I replaced the Leupolds with.

If you spend time researching the forums and web sites, you'll learn my eyes aren't the only ones impressed with SIII glass. I provided enough links in prior posts to keep you busy for one afternoon. ILya from the OpticTalk forum flat out states that Sightron is the best scope glass on the market coming out of Japan at this time. He lives optics, and looks through and tests them constantly.

jwp475 - For the second time, no I don't sell Sightron scopes. The only thing Sightron will be doing for me is taking my money in exchange for their SIIIs. I'd like to be selling them, because they're the best scope bang for the buck - of the current scopes on the market that I'm aware of. Which means the people making and selling them are probably tickled pink.

Refresh my memory, which ballistics program is it that gives drops in .273" increments?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.