nightforce clarity

Some pleasure reading for those with the time and interest:

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/leupold-sightron-39643/ Ernie may be posting the results of his field comparison of scopes soon. A Nightforce is included.

The Optics Talk Forums - SHOT Show 2009 impressions - Page 1

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/90-performance-half-price-39032/

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/2000-scope-witch-one-38951/

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/2009-shot-show-report-part-1-a-38316/

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/2009-shot-show-report-conclusion-38317/

The topic is "optical clarity". For a cost of ~$800, I believe the Sightron SIII 6-24x50mm will equal the optical clarity in the $1400 and higher-cost comparable model Nightforce glass. This is the clearest example I have to share at this time.

Anybody that's compared these two side-by-side? I'm interested in hearing other's opinions. I'd like to see you (jwp475) locate someone with an SIII, do a side-by-side field comparison, and share your opinion/conclusion. If I owned a Nightforce, I'd do the comparison myself, but I don't, so I can't.

In my readings, the majority have stated that IOR glass is the equal, or better, than Nightforce (optical clarity). My 6-24X50mm SIII is the equal of my 3-18x42mm IOR in "optical clarity", and better in light transmission. (Light transmission comparison is a bit unfair in that the IOR has additional lenses to achieve the 6X power range.)

I expect more Nightforce owner's to join the fray.

Last edited:
I don't have any Sightron, but I do have a few Schmidt & Benders both PMll's and Precision Hunters. The one quote sounds like my friend Scott Berish and while I respect his opinion and ask his opinion often I don't agree with his assessment of Nightforce Optics, they are dam good IMHO

Have you personaly compared them? IMHO different sets of eys see differently through different scope because of the different coatings

I have two 5.5-22x50(one on a 7 rsaum and the other on a 7rum) I have looked threw some swaro's and a few zeiss scopes and I think the nightforce gathers light much better and is just as clear. And they are made in the USA.

Made in the USA?

How come my new Nightforce 5.5-22x56 NXS scope has "Made in Japan" printed on the bottom?

How well do you need to see? NXS glass is good enough, but by no means the best. I like nightforce and own several along with a bunch of VX3s and a VX7 and IOR, if I really want to see I pull out a zeiss victory. IMO the best glass I have ever looked through. But I doubt it is as tough as a NXS.

Have you personaly compared them? IMHO different sets of eys see differently through different scope because of the different coatings
I have a friend that owns a SIII 6-24x50 and although it's very good for the cost, I find that for my eyes, every comparison I've made between the two, both optically and physically puts the NF way better than the SIII. But, I'd expect that for the price difference and in this case, I personally think you get what you pay for.

Someone else's eyes may find different results but for me the NF is far better than the SIII.

No way you could have reviewed all those web links this quickly! That's not to say you're obligated to either. If I had unlimited financial resources, I wouldn't feel the need to read. I'd just buy scopes, compare them, toss the bad and keep the good over and over again until I was completely content.

I've looked through Nightforce but I've not had the opportunity to set a Nightforce up and compare in the field side by side with an SIII or IOR at the same time. That's why I said I'd like you (or someone who has access to these scopes) to compare them and get another opinion expressed. I've looked through a lot of different scopes but I'm not confident in my conclusions without being able to look through them side by side in the same outdoor conditions.

I've compared the SIII to IOR, to Zeiss Conquest, to Leupold LPS, to Leupold VX-3 - but never side by side to a Nightforce. My SIII to Nightforce comparison is based on the majority of comparison conclusions I've read placing IOR glass equal to or a tad ahead of Nightforce. So I compared my IOR to my SIII to reach my opinion and this field comparison is the basis for my comparison of the SIII to the Nightforce. I only have so much money to spend on scopes.

Scott Berish is one of many sources of information I've reviewed over the past 3 years. As a dealer, he looks through a lot of scopes. Many more than he uses in the field. My opinion isn't sole-sourced to Scott's blog or posts, although I respect his opinion because I've reached similar conclusions based upon my own independent optics tests.

Last edited:
I have a friend that owns a SIII 6-24x50.

Then my guess is your friend has an SIII that is of the first generation SIIIs, rather than the currently manufactured generation of SIIIs. There's no comparison between the two. I believe the newer generation hit the streets in mid-2008. But that doesn't mean there still aren't first generation SIIIs in dealer stock.

Thanks for sharing your finding.

No better way I know of to start a tit-for-tat than to say anything other than Nightforce is the king of the hill. Anyone wants to bring me a Nightforce NXS, I'll conduct the comparison on my own, or we can do it together. Location: Kenai Peninsula, Alaska.

Last edited:
Then my guess is your friend has an SIII that is of the first generation SIIIs, rather than the currently manufactured generation of SIIIs. There's no comparison between the two.

No better way I know of to start a tit-for-tat than to say anything other than Nightforce is the king of the hill. Anyone wants to bring me a Nightforce NXS, I'll conduct the comparison on my own, or we can do it together. Location: Kenai Peninsula, Alaska.
And when did they start making the "good" SIIIs?

Like I said I talk to Scott a fair bit and I respect his opion and agree with it most of the time, but I don't share his opinion of Nighforce Optics.

S & B scopes have excellent optics this is universialy accepted and I have both S & B and Nightforce and IMHO and to my eyes Nightforce optic are very good and were one of the best scopes available for the money spent IMHO. I have never lacked in optical quality when in the field with my Nightforce.

And when did they start making the "good" SIIIs?

Mid-2008. Sorry I left that out. I must have been adding that info to my post at the same time your were posting. I'll find a link to a post that another member supplied which shows a picture of the first generation and the second generation SIIIs. You'll be able to tell which one your friend has by reviewing the pictures. Gimme a sec... and I'll add the link to this post...

Let us know what you determine?

Last edited:
My friend's scope is the older generation but until I can see one of the newer Sightrons I'll still have to stand by my NF.

Why don't you send me a SIII new generation and I'll compare them side by side.:) Didn't you want someone to send you a NF?:rolleyes:

You're basing your opinion on someone else's opinion, albeit a valued and experienced opinion, and personal preferences and eyesight so I'll just have to pass on pretty much all other's comparisons until I can actually see which my eyes prefer.

Maybe I can talk my buddy into buying a new gen SIII.

My friend's scope is the older generation but until I can see one of the newer Sightrons I'll still have to stand by my NF.

Maybe I can talk my buddy into buying a new gen SIII.

Thanks for clarifying which Generation SIII you compared to your NF. I suspected it was the older SIII. After you compare the new SIIIs to your NF, you'll own two SIIIs instead of one NF. :D

My opinion is based on a collective weight-of-the-evidence approach. I shared some of that evidence above. I've been looking through scopes for more than 40 years, and researching them intently for the past 3-4 years. If you have the opportunity to compare the current SIII to your NF, you better take advantage of it. You can thank me later for doing the homework and sharing the results here on LRH.
"The glass on these (SIII) scopes is awesome. It is just as good or better than the top Leupold and NightForce optics. It's very sharp and clear through the full power range. The problem with cheaper optics is clarity begins to fade as the power increases. The eye relief is about 4". Which is plenty for the heavy recoil calibers. The SIII line is rated for the 50BMG. The mil-dot reticule is a standard mil-dot reticule with the US Army dot sizes of .22 mils which are round in the case of this scope. The reticule is in the 2nd focal plane and is only accurate at 24x. So you need to be on 24x power for accurate mil ranging."
And this from our own 'Boss Hoss', posting about the USOptics scopes. His post included a Nightforce to S&B comparison, which leads me to believe jwp475 must have one of the better NightForce scopes ever manufactured:
"If you have ever used one (USO)(I have 6) you would understand. There is only one scope that the optics compare to inho and that is the S&B PMII and to a great extent the VMV's. The NF is a good mid line scope but to compare it to a FFP, no mask, and the toughest internals in the industry is not really a fair comparison.

Compare a like NF at night side by side with like USO and the difference will be readily apparent. I could type more detail but until you perform this comparison for yourself it will not be clear. Kind of a hobby for me to seek out the very best Components, Builders, Processes and Equipment you might say that I like to win and in the process leave no stone unturned or at least try not to."

No. I don't work for Sightron or make any money off their products. I'm like most of you guys, looking for the best optic value for my money. If money was no issue, I'd be checking out the new Premier Heritage scope. It looks like a killer and it's getting killer reviews.

I welcome anyone else's comparisons of the NF glass to the current generation SIII glass. The SIII's the best buy for my money at this time. Be forewarned - the current reticle selection and variable power selections with the Sightron SIIIs is somewhat limited. I'd like to see a 4-16 or 5-20 variable power scope. But if you can live with a 6-24 variable power scope, I'm pretty certain you'd be happy with the quality of the SIII glass.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.