NF NX8 vs Leupold Mark 5

Elk Crazy

What's everyone's opinion on the nx8 vs mark 5? Long range only on YouTube said these are 2 of the best scopes for hunting and he likes the nx8. They're both really sweet scopes! I like the reticle in the mark 5 with the dot because at longer ranges the dot is easier to see the target. I'm definitely getting one of these

I looked at both but bought the Mark 5 for my newest rifle build. Go to a shop that has both and ask to step outside and play with both and see which one you like the best. The differences are negligible but you will prefer one over the other. The price difference is almost nonexistent. They are both good scopes.

NX8 2.5-20×50 F1 vs Mk5 3.6-18×44
Or
NX8 4-32×50 F1 vs Mk5 5-25×56
Or
NX8 4-32×50 F1 vs Mk5 7-35×56

Magnification goes to NF on everything except top end on the comparison to the Mk5 7-35×56 (but you lose 3x on the low end).

Clarity would have to go to Leupold across the board.

The rest are preferences.

I think I would choose NF for the sole reason of having personally seen too many Leupolds go down.

I have owned both but it's MK 5 for me too. I have abused them with no issues so far…..and that's more than I can say for some much more expensive scopes I've had in the past and still own. Especially the ones that start with a K.

NX8 2.5-20×50 F1 vs Mk5 3.6-18×44
Or
NX8 4-32×50 F1 vs Mk5 5-25×56
Or
NX8 4-32×50 F1 vs Mk5 7-35×56

Magnification goes to NF on everything except top end on the comparison to the Mk5 7-35×56 (but you lose 3x on the low end).

Clarity would have to go to Leupold across the board.

The rest are preferences.

I think I would choose NF for the sole reason of having personally seen too many Leupolds go down.
I have owned probably close to 2 dozen or more Leupolds over the last 30 plus years and never had one go down. I have two friends that are professional PHs in Alaska and one in Africa. They depend on them for there livelihood and have never had one break that was not damaged in a freak accident of some kind. Drop one 16 feet out of a tree and it held zero. I have seen one malfunction out of probably a 100 in my lifetime and it was twenty years old and had been on a dozen or more hunts around the world in all kinds of weather. The elevation turret froze. It was a VX III. My buddy sent it to Leupold they serviced it and returned it. Still running today. The military used the Mark 4, 6 & 8. If you ask Leupold they will tell you the Mark 5 is the best scope they have ever made. I am not saying they don't break but it is rare. I think there were a few issues when the Mark 5 was originally introduced but the new ones are probably the best value out there. They are what probably 8 out of ten 2 mile competitors are using (7-35). I cannot speak to the cheaper Leupolds but anything in the VX5 and up are great scopes. I like the NX8 and my smith really likes them. The 4-32 is his preferred scope over the ATACR. I don't think you can go wrong with either. I prefer the controls on the Luepold and the performance track record for a hunting scope. Just my experience and opinion.

The M5 lost zero in that LRO youtube review.
I have not had any issues with either of mine. I dial them all the time at the range out to 1250 and they always return to zero. But there are always exception to everything. My experience with the Mark 5 is a sample of two and I have only ever owned one NF. At present I own a half dozen other Leupolds and a couple of S&Bs, that sit on hunting rifles. As I said earlier, I considered NF but went with what I knew. Leupolds are good scopes.

Leupold has better glass then nx8 but leupolds fail. I have a good friend thats in engineering at leupold and he even says they know they have a issue with there turrets. The scopes hold zero well. Its the dialing they cant seem to figure out. If anyone wants a vx6 i got one for free its at the bottom of noahtuk river because it costed me a b&c caribou.

Leupold has better glass then nx8 but leupolds fail. I have a good friend thats in engineering at leupold and he even says they know they have an issue with there turrets. The scopes hold zero well. Its the dialing they cant seem to figure out. If anyone wants a vx6 i got one for free its at the bottom of noahtuk river because it costed me a b&c caribou.
Do you have the gps way point by chance🤣

I've owned a couple of both scopes. The Mark 5 definitely wins in optical performance, and the turret is also a little more crisp. That being said, I wouldn't own another one. They are not dependable and their QC is not good either. I received a MOA Mark 5 that accidentally had MIL internals. Took me a while to figure out and had to send it back twice to get them to actually repair it. My dad's Mark 5 lost zero by 2" on our last hunt after riding in the back of the ranger for 1/2 a day. We shot it the previous day to confirm zero, and then again after he hit high twice on a buck. My close buddy's Mark 5 just flat failed and had to be sent back. Along with several VX HD's going down by close friends of mine. They just simply can't be trusted IMO. I'm sure there are plenty of them out there that haven't had any issues also.

NX8 is just a solid scope. Not great at anything, but good enough at everything. And should hold zero through a lot of abuse.

Recent Posts