Newby...going all in...missing anything?

sanjuanfly

I'm new to reloading, but have decided that it is something I would enjoy for hunting and LR shooting. So I bought:
- Forster CO-AX
- Redding 3 die set (338 RUM)
- Forster large caliber jaws
- RCBS Chargemaster 1500 scale
- calipers
- Nosler reloading book
- Nosler 180 grain 338 bullets
- Nosler 250 grain 338 bullets
- 1# 7828 powder
- 1# R22 powder
- 2000 Federal GM215M primers
- 100 Remington brass new
- Reloading trays
- Deburring tools
- Primer pocket cleaner
- Some other misc. tools and boxes

So will I need a case trimer for the new brass? Any other necessities or niceties that I'm missing?

Thanks
Scottr

Looks like you have a darn good start! I would say yes to the case trimmer. You will definitely need that at some point.

One thing I would add to the list is the Hornady O.A.L. Gauge. Seating depth is so important and this gives you a way to measure that in reference to you rifle/bullet combo. Early on in my Handloading days I didn't much care about seating depth but several hundred rounds later and many wasted range trips I am now much wiser. I use my Hornady O.A.L Gauge almost every time I start developing a new load.

6mmBR.com Reviews of Reloading tools, Bipods Harris Pod-loc, Cleaning Supplies, Redding Wilson Dies, K&M Tools, Neck turning Tools, Shooting Accessories and supplies.

Oh and one other thing I wish I would have done earlier on...Start record keeping for everything!

My $.02

Last edited:
for a large round go with 8 lbs of powder so you get more time out of it before changing powder lots which can burn differently you will go through 1 pound of those fast in a rum.

+1 on the notes write it ALL down save your targets. not just powder charge and oal i mean primer brass with lots powder with lot # environmental conditions when shooting etc...

enjoy the ride.
d

Thanks for the feedback. I like the idea of keeping a log and the 8# powders.

I sure would like to work up and test some loads for elk this fall.

RL25 is awesome in the 338 rum,give it a try. Also consider some 300 gr SMK. Have fun with it you picked up some great stuff !

I like the RL25, but the salesperson talked me into the 22. Also I was looking at the 7828SSC instead of the regular 7828 (don't really want to do compressed loads), but he talked me out of that as well.

I have a wish list of equipment, but just can spend much more money before the wife will shoot me. She doesn't see how spending $$$$, will save money eventually.

You're off to a good start.

I prefer the standard shellholder adapter in my Forester Co-ax press.

You should get the Hornady Headspace and OAL adapters for your calipers.

You also might want to try Imperial Sizing Wax and Dry Neck Lube.

-- richard

It sounds like you believe in starting off with the right equipment. When you buy a case trimmer I would highly recommend the Wilson case trimmer. It is hands down the most consistent trimmer I have ever used.

Might want to consider getting a neck sizing die. Lee makes a great one as does Redding. Some people swear by one or the other, kind of like the chevy/ford thing. It will likely help your accuracy slightly and will definately increase the life of your brass. I wish I would have gone with a coax press to begin with...I've heard great things about them. AND you will love the automatic powder dispender. I have a different brand, but I find it a very nice item to have :)

Sizing wax or spray and a scale to check your scale, a must with the chargemaster. After first fire yuou will need a tumbler and case trimmer.

Sizing wax or spray and a scale to check your scale, a must with the chargemaster. After first fire yuou will need a tumbler and case trimmer.

Good call on all this. I would add an rcbs case prep center and a vld deburrer. Awesome list though. Jelousy on the forester press. Those things are sweet.

Thanks for all of the feedback. I actually got the press mounted on my temp reloading bench. The 215M primers got dropped off last night. It was my first package that said "explosives" on the side...pretty cool. Waiting on the brass...seems to be a shortage of 338 RUM brass.

So my wish list keeps growing:
- Case trimmer - Sinclair micro trimmer (made by Wilson)
- Tumbler - Thumblers Tumbler
- More brass
- Different types of powder (RL25, 7828SSC, H1000)
- Different types of bullets (Berger hybrid, Barnes 265 grain)
- 2x4 bench kit
- I guess a second scale

I bought the Redding three piece die set, does that include the neck sizing die?

Also, is there a good log book out there for reloading and shooting or should I build one in Excel?

Be careful with too many variables moving around. e.g. powders, primers, bullets

You'll want to pick a combination that makes sense based on feedback from others and then do a thorough job of working up a proper load before jumping around.

-- richard

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.