Newbie reloading question about die adjusting

ttaillac

ok - So I bought a the Lee's anniversary kit and Lee 2-set die for my 300 RUM. I've followed the instructions as best I can and also watched a ton of youtube videos. I think I have everything figured out with exception to setting/adjusting the resizing die. I pulled the press arm down and screwed the resizing die in until it barely kisses the shell holder. The part I don't know how to adjust is that top bolt adjustment. Any help would be appreciated.

attachment.php

The part that you referenced is the decapping/expander.

Before you use the die, I would take it apart and polish the expander and the inside of the die using Flitz metal polish. I do this with all my die, but the Lee die need it especially. You don't want to take any metal off, just smooth everything up.

Also, be careful setting the sizing down too far, you could work the brass too much pushing the shoulder back needlessly. I suggest you get, Handloading for Competition by Glenn Zediker. It is an excellent read and will help with a lot of your questions and help make the best of your handloads.

Good luck.

To answer your question you want the decapping pin to to be roughly a 1/8 of an inch exposed into the opening of the press body. I wouldnt worry about oversizing the brass as it sounds as though reloading is new to you. Which is great. You are doing it correctly by raising the ram all the way up and screwing the die until it touches the shell holder. As you get more aquainted with reloading you can worry about oversizing brass and measuring shoulder bump. Good luck and hopes this helps.

The "nut" on top of the Lee sizers is only a tapered clamp device to hold and center the decapper rod. If it's too loose the rod can push up or pull out, you need a wrench on both the nut and die body to get it sufficently tight.

The only adjustment needed for the decapper rod is to have the bottom pin protrude far enough below the die to insure spent primers are pushed out; that usually requires the pin to extend 1/8" to 3/16". Lee made it so the top of the rod is usually very near flush with the top of the nut when it's set correctly.

You probably do have the die body set very close to right. Test it by sizing a fired case and see if you can chamber it without having to force the bolt down. If it closes, fine. If it's difficult to close on the case, turn the die down another 1/16th turn - no more - then repeat the test. If it's still too tight, do it again, continueing until the bolt barely closes but without force. (Most people resize too much and that hurts case life.)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.