Newbie and 300 RUM

400Bullelk

Alright, new to this game, have a 300 RUM. Stock has been bedded, trigger work done. Scope is mounted. Final Finish was completed last weekend, and I have put a brake on it. I have just bought a bunch of reloading equipment and chrono. I have searched back a ways and gotten a load of load information. Where do I start? What do I look for? Thanks in advance.

Don.

H1000 or Retumbo powder, large rifle magnum primers, 180-200 gr. Premium bullets ie.Swift Scirocco's and Nosler Partitions, and Nosler Accubond come to mind. My gun did not like the Partitions for some reason and the only other one I tried personally in this size bullet(180gr)were the Accubonds. Goto Hodgdon.com for load information, that is what I used. I settled on 180gr. Accubonds with Retumbo powder.

There are several others here that will hopefully chime in with more extensive testing than I have done on the 300RUM. If I can say one thing is that my factory rifle took about 60 rounds through it before it really settled down and shot decent groups. Good luck
1kstr.

400BullElk, look at this site for load data;

www.reloadersnest.com

It has a lot of good info for the 300-RUM with many different powders, bullets, and primers being used. It's a good place to get started.

Wildcat

hi, just follow their advice.
I was like you one year ago, and for my 300rum, I found the perfect powder with Retumbo.
91gr Retumbo, 9 1/2m rem primer, 200ab round, and 3.607aol.
ALWAYS START WITH MINIMUM LOAD AND GO UP WITH 0.3/0.5increment TILL FIRST SIGN OF PRESSURE.
THAN STEP BACK.
never exceed the maximum load for your rifle.
tge best powder to start are Retumbo / h1000, because are not sensitive to temperature variation.
- read, read, and ask, than do something stupid and regret later.
- look for pressure signs; hard or unusual presure when lift up the bolt, primer loose, case crack, or stuck in the rifle, or bolt marks imprint on the case base.
you have to options to fin the perfect comb for your riflr;
1. ladder test
or 2. the old fashion way- load 3-5loads for every 0.5gr increment powder starting with min load and go up to the first sign of pressure.
you have to choose the tightest group,and repeat for confirmation.
chris

I have settled on 96 grains of Retumbo with Fed 215 primer and the Berger 210 VLD bullet. According to the primer this is not close to a max load in my rifle. There is still a substantial curve at the edges of the primer. No sticky bolt lift or any marks on the brass.

I also use 96g of Retumbo but I shoot 180g Barnes TSX.. Ran a few tests this past weekend all were around 3415 fps so that's what I'm runnin!. Which means I backed down half a grain from my previous loads. GM 215 primers...

I like the 200 gr Accubond. The horsepower is there in the RUM, why not use it? I push them at 3200 fps, using RL-25. As far as temp sensitivity I have been reading about, I haven't noticed any. mtmuley

100g of retumbo? Seems like a lot I chrono'd 100g of retumbo as well it was shooting at 3575 for my first shot and also gave me a sticky bolt... Seems like a bit much pressure to me.... They one shot and done?

Retumbo has worked well for me with 180's, 190's, and 200 grainers using Fed 215's.

I use ar2225 which I believe is equivalent to retumbo. I have been using 180 ballistic silver tips and have tested loads starting at 94gr ar2225 all the way up to 100gr ar2225 and have found my rifle Rem 700p 26"barrel to be the most accurate shooting 100gr ar2225 and the most consistent velocity averages between shots. What length barrel are you getting 3575fps out of? If it's only 26"barrel tripple check your powder weights.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.