Newbe confusion..scopes

Captcliff

Hi everyone, man, I need some input! I have a new Savage 12 , single shot, 30in. barrel, in 223, w/7twist. I've had health problems and now retired , I want to get back into the sport. A little background .... I went with 223 because I had all the reloading gear. My club has a new 300yd section of the range ,which in southeastern Mass.is a big deal. So, with say 90% at that distance (egg shoots)and maybe a trip to Co. to shoot some dogs someday at maybe a max. distance of 550yds??? ,,,, I started recently looking into scopes. Wow, I am more confused than ever. I just assumed that the way to go is a variable (around $2000) but after reading more, maybe a very good fixed is what I need. With my limited experience, I don't think I've even looked through a fixed. does anyone feel a $2K fixed will work for me? Its alot of $ for me to make the wrong decision. I'll be using what I have on hand , such as 78- 80gr sierra. Sorry , didn't mean to be so long winded but I thought if any site would have the advice needed for my decision , the experienced shooters here would be the place. Greatly appreciate any input.

Personally I would look at variable if you are ever going to go shoot p dogs one hunt at all with it.i would run either a atacr a 8-32nxs or the 6-24 or 10-50 kahles. They are probably more than 2k though. Might be able to get the nxs under 2k

Take a look at the SIII Sightron 10-50 it will do what you want and keep quite a bit of coin in your pocket. They have good customer service and warranty. There resale value is pretty good also.

Take a look at the SIII Sightron 10-50 it will do what you want and keep quite a bit of coin in your pocket. They have good customer service and warranty. There resale value is pretty good also.

I have one of these in a 8-32x56. Dgd is right, they are very good scopes. I like mine a lot.

Wow is correct, and I totally understand the apprehension of making a mistake. If you were close I have a couple you could look through, maybe there is a range or club nearby where someone would let to view theirs. The variables have become so good the reasons for fixed powers are declining in my opinion.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.