Newb reloading question

Str8shooterTX

disclaimer is I have not reloaded for 40 years.
Here is my question
I am thinking of getting a Lee Turret press kit and run it with RCBS Competition 2-Die Set 308 Winchester and RCBS Precision Mic 308 Winchester.
Is this ok to do? Seems like I will have more control and ability to tweek my coal and sizing with the rcbs dies. And if the Lee press is stout enough then it saves a small bit of coin. Reason for the turret is I will also be doing 223 and I can keep a die load set up without having to change much. Thoughts and guidance welcome

What you propose will work but...

Lee makes their Classic Cast press in their twist lock fittings so the dies have an insert permanently set on them and a quick twist changes dies. Hornady makes the same set up and I like them both. Except for the Redding I do not recommend turret presses because it's one more thing to be misaligned. Hornady has the better price on the fittings in ten quantities and that will make up the price difference in the two presses in a hurry.

I cut a small piece of solder and change the brass set screws to stainless trapping the solder piece between the die threads and the set screw. I have yet to damage a die thread doing this and my dies screw in and out to the same consistent settings. A small Sharpie mark facing forward on the set ring makes returning the dies to the correct position a snap. I developed this 30 years ago before the twist lock feature was available. I would jump between 357 & 30/06 in one loading session. The dies never change setup, just screw them in and pump the cases through.

KB

the Lee turret press is a good one. But, I would go with the breech lock classic cast or the hornady lock n load.
As stated above I have my dies and lock rings sealed together for a fast no adjust die change. Been doing this since early 90's and have yet to notice any change. To seal my dies I set them in place using the instructions then before I screwed the lock rings down I painted the treads of the dies with nail polish and also painted the set screw on the locking rings with nail polish.

What you propose will work but...

Lee makes their Classic Cast press in their twist lock fittings so the dies have an insert permanently set on them and a quick twist changes dies. Hornady makes the same set up and I like them both. Except for the Redding I do not recommend turret presses because it's one more thing to be misaligned. Hornady has the better price on the fittings in ten quantities and that will make up the price difference in the two presses in a hurry.

I cut a small piece of solder and change the brass set screws to stainless trapping the solder piece between the die threads and the set screw. I have yet to damage a die thread doing this and my dies screw in and out to the same consistent settings. A small Sharpie mark facing forward on the set ring makes returning the dies to the correct position a snap. I developed this 30 years ago before the twist lock feature was available. I would jump between 357 & 30/06 in one loading session. The dies never change setup, just screw them in and pump the cases through.

KB
a small lead shot pellet and the original brass set screw also works for setting the lock rings well... as to the press, get a single stage like the rockchucker... one less headache wondering if your press head wobble is causing issues.... lee, redding and lyman also make good single stage presses.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.