New Zealand alpine hunt 2013

Villreinjeger

I'm planning a solo hunt in the southern alps may-june 2013. hunting will mainly be for Tahr, but also Chamois. Looking into a trip of 4 weeks, hopefully able to pull off two full week trips of hunting. One fly-in, and one walk-in. West and east coast.

Gear have to be able to withstand severe wind, rain, snow and sub zero conditions. I like to camp as high as possible – open ground!

I'd very much appreciate comments on gear, have I missed anything, something I could do without..? Suggestions wanted.

I have the list in pdf.

Attachments

• packlistv5.pdf
    104.3 KB · Views: 162
Looks pretty ok to me.

My pack generally weighs about 25kg on the way in with 4 days food. I take pretty much the same stuff as you.

Bivvy bag isn't a necessity, but I take mine - good choice. If you are going to be in avalanche prone areas, don't do them on your solo. I cant tell from your brand of cooker, but an LPG canister wont work at tahr and chamois heights in winter without pre heating the canister, which can be a bit dangerous, and uses precious gas. I use white spirits in a primus omni fuel.

Take plenty of ammo. You are supposed to cull 3 nannies for every bull, and 5 would be better.

Best bet is to head over to Fishing and Hunting New Zealand. fishnHunt is New Zealands biggest and oldest fishing and hunting website. Home of the famous Fishnhunt New Zealand hunting and fishing forum. and ask a few questions. Heaps of very experienced alpine hunters there.

Chris

(NZ)

Thanks for the link, but I´m already at that forum. It@s great by the way!

I reckon the more hard-core backpackhunters would be here, but might be wrong, there are many keen kiwis backpacking into hunting grounds.

hey mate,

may want to invest in a role of duct tape, keep a piece over your barrel to prevent crap and corruption getting in. Doesn't make adifference with POI either.

Be careful about under-estimating the Kiwi's they are bloody hard hunters in those southern Alps, can do some amazing things and are great hunters and blokes to have a chat and a few bers with.

Fishnhunt is the way fwd, helped me heaps on my first trip to NZ, one thing pack bug spray for the walk in on the west coast! May save you if you are one who is succeptable to sand flies.

good luck

MOG

I´ve been over a few times, and those sand flies are really bad sometimes. totally forgot to put it on the list... That´s a necessity!!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.