new Vortex or custom turret for Nikon?!?

Deederswy

Hey everyone, im starting to get into LR shooting, well LR for me at least. I did quite of bit of shooting out to 500 yards and was able to take my antelope at 525 this year, so i was pretty happy with that. Well with my confidence growing i want to stretch it out a bit further this next year, maybe looking at trying 700-800 maybe even try for that 1/2 mile mark, my only issue is my glass is a 5.5-16.5 plain reticle Nikon Monarch UCC. Its an older scope, but still pretty clear and holds zero well. Im using hold over for now past 300(thats my zero) and at 500, i drop 25 inches so anything past that is a rough guess when hunting and i dont want to criple an animal. Ive been looking at some new Vortex scopes, mainly the Viper HS LR 4-16 with the XLR(MOA) reticle(dont have a ton of money) but i like that reticle alot. So im wondering if buying the new scope with the MOA hash marks is the way to go, or do i keep the scope i have and have a custom turret made for it? Now i understand that the turrets are made for your elevation, temperature, atmospheric pressure and what not, but i live at 6000' and hunt around 8000' and i would have it set for more of the hunting conitions im used to. Any advice and info would be great either way, if you have used that Vortex scope or a Kenton custom turret, i believe thats who Nikon goes through.
Thanks, Nick

I have had that exact Nikon scope on my .257 WBYMAG for over 10 years.
I have also considered getting a custom turret for this scope. The 5.5-16 is a lot of scope and the UCC coating is excellent for light transmission and clarity.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.