New to this: .308 600-1000y shooting

Optix

I'm sure this has been addressed in the past, just looking to get a good answer.

I'm a beginner shooter: I purchased my first rifle two months ago, a Savage Axis .308 heavy barrel with a 3-10x Mueller scope. After a single session and just over a dozen shots, I was shooting with a ~3" deviation at 200y.

I'm getting ahead of myself for sure, but I'm looking to get more information for 600-1000y shooting. I've read many articles and have found .308s are only "reliable" to 800m (875y) but are capable of hitting 1000y at 35-40 MOA adjustment.

I'm looking at purchasing a Bushnell Elite 6500 scope in the near future, I've read great reviews (like below) and the price is just right for my budget.

Real Guns - Bushnell's Elite 6500 - When I pick one for myself

I guess that is all just backstory leading up to my actual dilemma. For long range shooting, what is the best or most common practice for, say, 1000 yard shooting? Do you zero at 500y to achieve the necessary angle required to shoot extra distance? I'm not looking to use a canted base, so just not sure what the best methods are.

As it happens, I work with law enforcement, most of the guys hunt but they are all firing at less than 300y so they've been unable to answer most of my questions for long range shooting.

Again, I'm admittedly a beginner, but do my homework and pick up skills very quick. I'm looking to do this right the first time, so my aim is to not reinvent the wheel, and collaborate with more seasoned shooters to see what is commonplace.

Thanks for your time, and any replies, in advance.

As far as Zeroing it depends on you, I personally have a scope where I can adjust 60 MOA (40=half of total adjustment+20 from reticle). So for me I can shoot out to 1600 yards with a 200 yard zero with no problem. And if I zero at 300 yards I only gain about 30 yards. So yes zeroing out further will help you get to that 1000 yard range. .308s can easily hit 1000 yards, how accurate depends on bullet, environmental factors, and shooter. Just remember that the longer the shot the more wind, gravity and others can effect the bullet. If you know your muzzle velocity, bullet coefficient, bullet weight you can find calculators online to give you a good idea of what you can do, as far as range

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.