New to the 6.5-06

Lab rat

I didn't wanna hijack someone else's post is here it goes I just built my first custom gun it's a Remington 700 ss/dm with a 26" Lilja barrel when I decided to do a build I wanted to start with the bullet so I figured it would be a 143 to 140 and my goal for speed would be 2950 to 3100 so what
Powder would you recommend

I didn't wanna hijack someone else's post is here it goes I just built my first custom gun it's a Remington 700 ss/dm with a 26" Lilja barrel when I decided to do a build I wanted to start with the bullet so I figured it would be a 143 to 140 and my goal for speed would be 2950 to 3100 so what
Powder would you recommend

I normally start with a powder recommendation from bullet manufacturers' tests. I have reloading manuals for Berger, Nosler, Hornady, etc. What powder do you currently have in your inventory?

Lilja barrel is an excellent choice. What groove and twist?

I normally start with a powder recommendation from bullet manufacturers' tests. I have reloading manuals for Berger, Nosler, Hornady, etc. What powder do you currently have in your inventory?

Lilja barrel is an excellent choice. What groove and twist?
Haha I kinda went all in with this powder I found my 7mm loves it and my 270 wsm loves it so this is where I'm going to start if I remember correctly it a 1and 9 twist

Attachments

• 8E3A129D-5DF1-49AD-ACB9-83BCC67FCCD6.jpeg
    8E3A129D-5DF1-49AD-ACB9-83BCC67FCCD6.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 149
Haha I kinda went all in with this powder I found my 7mm loves it and my 270 wsm loves it so this is where I'm going to start if I remember correctly it a 1and 9 twist

RL26 is an excellent starting point ... some will be envious or you might even pizz (misspelled intentionally due to autocorrect/sensor ;) ) people off with what you have. 😇 They are getting harder to get. To better your yield on responses, what bullets do you have in mind? I am Berger bullet fan so my .264 WM is primarily designed for the 156 Berger or the 160 Matrix VLD. The barrel is 26" 5R and 1:7".

You can also contact Alliant directly for a recommendation or a good starting point for your powder >>> http://www.alliantpowder.com/questions/default.aspx

Last edited:
I have tried both re26 and h1000 and both gave me over 3000fps with a 28.5" barrel. I have 1lb of h4831 I'm going to try next with a satterly test to see how it does

One of the great things about new cartridge introductions is that it gives us new powder loads for older or wildcat cartridges. e.g. the 6.5 PRC and the 6.5-06 have nearly identical case capacities. There are tons of new load data for the 6.5 PRC with newer powders that is a good reference for 6.5-06. Most show that R23, H1000, IMR 7977, etc and slower to give the best results in the 6.5-06. The next powder I'll try in my 6.5-06 will be IMR 8133.

I only have access to H1000 and H3831 for shooting the 140 to 147gr bullets,,, the slower burning H1000 is working good out of my 6.5/06,,, A Square

The tame medium Node of 50.2 gr of H1000 is a tackdriver charge,,, I run from 52.5 to 53.5 for the hunting loads with that powder,,, loooong drop tube needed to get more powder then that into the Thick wall Lapua caeses,,, they were formally 30/06 cases sized down...

Start low as you increase the charges watching for pressure signs.... 25" as Jury Barrel,,, 2880 ft-per seconds with the hotter charge,,, 2680 with the tame loads...

Id sure like to run the RL, powders,,, but its hard to get up in our area...

H4831 is my back up powder,,, be careful since it will show signs of flat primers,,, then waaaaay to much just by adding 0.3 of a grain,,, i melted 2 cases before seeing exteator melted indentations in the case head,,, ha...

2680 ft-per seconds was max velocities using the H4831 behind the 140 to 147 bullets...

Ill go back to check my numbers on that...

25" as Bob Jury 1:8 twist
30/06 Lapua cases
CCI BR-2 priners
20 or 35 thou off lands seems to work,,, play around to find what for your rifle...

PS: The only reasons why I picked the lower nodes is better brass life,,, alot less case and web stretch,,, alot less flash burn on leed of barrel throat,,, way easier to resize,,, and its a super accurate load...

Don

I shoot a 264 Win Mag, but I'm really wanting a 6.5-06. I'm watching a couple on gunbroker, but springing to buy one when I'm so close to retiring...well, I dunno yet. All I know is that I've been wanting one for a few years. I have dies and brass, and butt loads of. 264 bullets. Just have to convince myself to dive in.

I shoot the Ackley 6.5-06 with 140 Hunting VLD Bergers and have tried several powders. In my rifle (magazine limited) and 9 twist, I choose the 130 Accubond as a deer rifle choice. Reloader 26 is hard to beat. See the attached Quickload. I have a nitrocarburized barrel and shoot HBN coated bullets. No naked bullets!

Attachments

• 6.5-06 AI quickload 130gr Accubond.pdf
    40.6 KB · Views: 163
I have a 6.5-06 AI that I've been shooting for many years. I have settled on 143 ELDX using RL26 pushing at 3150 fps. For reference I am using a 26.5" Benchmark barrel. I have tested dozens of powder and RL26 has been the best for me.

yes r-26 is real good and so is r-22 one must remember that the 6.5/06 is a magnum without the belted case as the bore dia is in porportion too the case capcity and so is the 270 win and the 25/06 thus R-26 will be great .. I want to use it in my 6.5 but all my stores are sold out of it thus it must be great, you know supply demand. oh don.t plan on 3100 in a 26" tube I get 2950 with a 25" and you will proably get 3000 and that will shoot a 142 to the moon and back.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.