New to Reloading

rem700x270

Hey guys, I have been hunting long range for quite a while but recently started reloading. I have figured out the basics and just wanted some info on some good long range loads for a 270, 308, .338 lapua, 243, and a good 22-250 varmint round. I know the basics but the part that gets me is which powder to use to load certain rounds. Any help would be appreciated.

For my 22-250 I have found that Varget and Hornady 52 grain amax's are the ticket. I believe that alot of people are using varget for their 308 loads as well.
For my 270 I like 130gr Nosler BT and H4831sc. All of these are with winchester brass and primers. I dont have a 338 but alot of people that I have talked to use h-1000 and reloader 22.

Jason

The type of powder that is required for a particular cartridge and bullet weight is located in load data manuals .
You look up the cartridge you are using , then locate the bullet weight you are using and then it shows a selection of different powders that are suitable and the safe starting load and max load for each powder type and bullet weight.
Go to this link to view load data information . http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

The type of powder that is required for a particular cartridge and bullet weight is located in load data manuals .
You look up the cartridge you are using , then locate the bullet weight you are using and then it shows a selection of different powders that are suitable and the safe starting load and max load for each powder type and bullet weight.
Go to this link to view load data information . http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

I agree Hodgdon would give you a good variaty on most bullet weights in all the calibre's you desire. Excellent site!

Want to get real confused = Read 4 different manuals!!!! They will have a lot of different powder choices and velocities, only your gun KNOWS what it likes!
You could start with a consistant powder that fills the case and dont work up loads dureing the winter that will be used in the summer sunlightbulb
Surplus powders and R22 have proven to be very challengeing to get consistant results from, one day they shoot great but change lots and/or teperature and they they are shotgun patterns.

Look through the manuals and the rest is trial and error . I have found it easier to find good loads with Single base "stick type " powders than ball powders . All I am saying is they are a little less sensitive than ball powders as you develope an accurate load . Both types work well but for a new guy I think single base powders are easier to use. For volume loading applications ball powders are definatly a plus if you can develope a good load for your gun..

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.