New to long range hunting.com

Hi Remmy,

Thanks for the response.

I mostly hang out on CalGun and BR Central.

Recently I decided to change my mind set on hunting rifles and started selling off my Ruger No1s and replacing them with more conventional rifles. I had 6 at one point, down to just one now, a Custom Octagon Barreled 338 Gibbs. I will never sell that rifle, love it.

But a few years ago, I missed out on a Bull of a lifetime because I was under gunned. The Bull busted out about 400 yards out, by the time I got on him, he was over 450 walking up the side of the mountain. The 338 Gibbs is great to about 400 yards, after that you are playing artilery with it. We got him to stop and look back, I took two shots and over compensated both times.

My two latest projects are a Montana Rifle Co. 300 Rum and in process of building a 6.5 PRC on a Model 70 Magnum action.

The 300 Rum is doing very well, impressed so far.

I ordered a Bartlen barrel for the 6.5, it came in last month. I am having Pacific Tool grind a reamer for a tighter neck for the PRC. Hope to get that by the end of this month. Should be a sweet rifle when it is done.

Hence, I have been surfing the web for info on both of these rounds. I found a couple of threads here for both of them and after looking at other threads decided, I should register.

I am very fortunate to belong to the Compton Hunting and Fishing Club here in So Cal. We have a underground 100 yard rifle range that is available 24/7. It is less than 5 miles from my house, so I get to do allot of testing and shooting. I was just there Sunday shooting the 300 RUM.

Looking forward to hanging out here, hopefully learn some new things while offering my 50 plus years of experience building rifles and reloading.

Randy Tidwell aka Ramsh00ter

"It is better to go Hunting and think about God, than to go to church and think about Hunting"

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot shoot. The courage to shoot the things I can and the wisdom to dope the wind and make the shot."

Attachments

• DSCN2525.JPG
    DSCN2525.JPG
    448.4 KB · Views: 93
Welcome, I'm in the greater Los Angeles area also. Do you do outside work? If not, do you have any recommendations? I have a couple bolt actions to rebarrel and haven't found anyone near that I'm comfortable with.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.