New to forum from Virginia

Nickm1

Greetings everyone,

I've just joined the site a couple weeks ago and have to say already I have learned alot. I've been an avid hunter all my life and my rifle of choice is 6mm rem in 700 action handed down to me from my grandfather. It was pretty beat up but i refinished stock myself and had barrel and action cerakoted. Also put viper pst on top. He also had a barrel custom built (don't know by who but it is 1:10) and has a time trigger. I've just recently been bitten by the long range target shooting bug and plan on building something a bit bigger for that, thinking something chambered in the Creedmoor. Til then I've just started hand loading the 6mm, and I've got a question pertaining to it. Is the Berger 87 gr capable of racing 1000 yards?

I've always shot factory hornady 95 gr sst great but I was looking to try different bullets to stretch it out a bit. I started with hornady 105 gr but has issues with bullets stabilizing due to 1:10. tried the sierra 95 gr matchkings, which also wouldn't stabilize. I got a box on the berger 87 gr loaded with 38 gr of varget and the shot great. Now just have to tinker and find the sweet spot. Is this round capable of 1000 yards? Supposed to be taking a long range shooting class in a month or so and was hoping to use this rifle. 6mm rem info is hard to find out there so any info is welcome. Thanks and looking forward to learning from this site!

Attachments

• 20160130_165543.jpg
    20160130_165543.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 143
Howdy Nickm1,

Welcome to the forum. In my opinion, almost any high powered rifle is capable of shooting 1000 yards, it's just depends on what kind of style you want to get the bullet there. Typically, you want a HEAVY bullet, not lighter to shoot long distance for the higher ballistic coefficient that comes with heavier bullets along with a few other advantages. Even a .22 rimfire will go 1000 yards if you get enough elevation. Keep in mind that your long distance shooting like that would be for paper targets only because your bullet energy with that small of a load is almost zero when it reaches 1000 yards. You could probably catch the bullet in your hand and not bleed !

Thanks. The farthest id shoot game with it is 300. I've taken taken ground hogs and deer at that range and it actually has dropped 2 on the spot. I just don't know what the velocity drop off is after that and don't want to push it. I only want to target shoot after 300.
Would this caliber be ok for learning the fundamentals of long range target shooting or would the drift be problematic enough that I should just wait until I build something larger?

I've killed many many groundhogs with a .243 at 400 yrds+. It's great practice for really long range shooting. I personally would wait for a larger capacity cartridge because I think you might get frustrated with bullet drift with the 6, but that's up to you. What would help you the most now is a good ballistics calculator. There are many on line, at the app. store, add on this website for free or just about free. Run the numbers and it will answer most of your questions.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.