New to custom rifles HELP!

Kevin Cram is the owner of Montour county rifle. My last rifle came from him ad will not be the last. I know for a fact there have been many many rifle built by him for guys on this site. Give him a call he can talk you through all aspects for your first time build. Kevin seems to focus on clean and elegant laser beams of death but if you wanted some tricked out tacticool weapon of destruction I'm sure he can accommodate that as well. But no ******** you would be doing yourself a great service by talking to him. Good luck

7 saum is a great cartridge I have two. but it really is not a short action cartridge you need at least 3 inches for any of the long range bullets.

Well like most things, you would want to know how much you are willing to spend for the whole thing. Then elk are the biggest game so determine how far you want to shoot them. Then what bullet and at what speed will deliver the killing power needed at that distance on elk. Then decide on what cartridge at the barrel length you want, will reliably deliver that speed with that bullet.

After that it's all working within your budget to best meet your desires. Once you figure out you could spend $12k on a setup you then need to make a budget and stick with it.

When you go through a systematic process it makes the rest easier.

To the OP, lots of options to consider and timing as well.

If you're looking to build from scratch for this season, you may cut it a little to close.

Are you planning to hand load or run factory ammo?

Budget?

I would suggest Christensen Arms as a turn-key ready to go option sans optics.

Lots of thinking and planninh ahead!

Everyone, thank you very much for the response. I just sent Andy @The Firm Rifles inc my deposit to get my build going. We are doing a carbon wrapped barrel, Impact action, trigger tech trigger, carbon fiber hunting stock, bottom metal, detachable 5 round box magazine, Atlas PSR bipod, full pillar bed job, blended seamless 3 port brake. After spending some time on JDM I feel the 6.5 SAUM will fit my bill perfectly! I believe Andy Folk is a true professional at his trade and will build me a rifle that will always outshoot me. Thanks again.

I was in the same boat. I went with Ryan Pierce at piercision rifles and he has been great. I feel his prices are fair and he makes some amazing rifles. He has some options to get the weight down, titanium action, carbon barrels and such and he has been very helpful with my decisions and giving me info on components and calibers.

http://www.piercisionrifles.com/

I also recommend Ryan Pierce.

Everyone, thank you very much for the response. I just sent Andy @The Firm Rifles inc my deposit to get my build going. We are doing a carbon wrapped barrel, Impact action, trigger tech trigger, carbon fiber hunting stock, bottom metal, detachable 5 round box magazine, Atlas PSR bipod, full pillar bed job, blended seamless 3 port brake. After spending some time on JDM I feel the 6.5 SAUM will fit my bill perfectly! I believe Andy Folk is a true professional at his trade and will build me a rifle that will always outshoot me. Thanks again.

Awesome post some pictures when it's done and let us know how the firm does!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.