New SPS 25-06.. not shooting very well..?s inside

I shoot and reload for a 25-06 extensively. I shoot a Win M70 with a Bushnell 3200. I did the following before I got accurate groups:

1. New Stock - I use a Hogue Overmolded with full aluminum bed. As the other guys have stated, there a bunch of good stocks. Change it.

2. Trigger Job - A local gunsmith turned my trigger into one of the smoothest and crispest triggers that I've ever felt.

3. Bullet vs. Barrel Twist - My rifle will not accurately shoot (under 1") anything heavier than 87 grains. I tried every bullet/powder combination that you can think of. Unfortunetly you might be seeing this...My suggestion is to try a 87 grain load and see if it helps. In a .257 caliber, a 100 grain requires a 1 in 10 twist or faster. A 117/120 requires at least 1 in 9. I will be changing barrells before the winter coyote hunt.

My $0.02.

Most factory 25-06s are 1 in 10 twists. You do not need a faster twist rate than that to shoot 117 gr bullets, I shoot them in mine and it is a 1-10 twist. Berger recommends a 1-10 for their 115 vlds and they are really long. Barnes does recommend a 1-9 for their 115 X bullet but, a 1-10 will stabilize most other bullets up to 120 grains fine. Every rifle is different and some will like heavy bullets and some will like lighter ones. Some rifles will only shoot one bullet well, some will shoot anything. There are many people that shoot 120 grain partitions and gamekings in 1-10 twist factory barrels.

Guys I'm sorry that I haven't been back to this post, my laptop has been acting up @ home, and I just got back offshore today.

It is a 1:10 twist barrel.

I was shooting in the prone position w/ a bi-pod and a rear bag, I do believe it was very steady, I don't have a "vise" to shoot from but I thought about getting one.

I only got a chance to make 25 rounds, plus the 20 factory loads I picked up. Even w/ the factory loads(100gr barnes) I was getting a flyer. 3 of 4 was in a 1.319" line.

I'll try re-torqueing the screws. I am also going to float the barrel. I'll prolly take it to a gunsmith for the trigger job, as I haven't messed w/ a trigger before.

the bad thing is this will be 2 more weeks before I even get home to play with it

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.