New scope

I, personally, can NOT wait for the Nightforce NX8 2.5-20. It's a bit over your stated budget at $1950 but its 23 oz, FFP, Illuminated and 120 MOA of adjustment. By specs, it's my dream girl in scope terms. Might wanna hold out and save a little lunch money.
A zoom range that wide is freaking awesome! I had a 6-18x40 Bushnell Trophy that I used for load Development, so I could see my 100 yard target better. Was a really good scope, but hunting it wasn't for me. 6 is just too much to find your quarry quickly. But 2.5 to 20, that is a beast!

I've been buying mostly Bushnell lately. Mostly based on personal preference. One Elite Tactical, two Engage (1" and 30mm), and a new Nitro FFP. All work well for my needs, but probably far below the class the OP is searching for.
I've been looking at the Forge 4.5-27x50 with the Deploy MOA reticle. I know I'm going to sound like an idiot here, but what is the difference in the First and Second Focal Plane?

First focal plane reticles zoom in and out with the image and the moa or mil measurements are correct at all zoom levels. Second focal plane reticles are fixed and the image zooms independent of the reticle. The moa or mil measurements are only correct at one specific zoom level.

First focal plane reticles zoom in and out with the image and the moa or mil measurements are correct at all zoom levels. Second focal plane reticles are fixed and the image zooms independent of the reticle. The moa or mil measurements are only correct at one specific zoom level.
So FFP IS THE BEST?

Burris Xtr ii 4x20 or the 5x25 ffp mill /mill
Under your budget a touch heavy but seem to hold up under all my 338 's with 300 bergers .
They have a nice zero stop..
34mm tube , 90 min.of elevation ..
Take the extra $$ left over and buy ammo to practice or loading components..
Excellent warranty..I hear ..havent needed it .
Good luck in your choice !

Rum Man

I'm not referring to the 80's or 90's. I'm talking a company that makes a scope that is a good value for your dollar today. Today's VX lines and Mark lines are in many people's opinions, every bit as good as anybody else scopes in their price line. And Leupold backs their products very well, forever. They were doing it long before some of these other companies were. To my knowledge (and I may be wrong) but many of today's top scope companies have modeled their warranty in line with Leupold's, because they know that in doing that, they're making a product that will retain its value for a long time. They're not the 'same old stuff' that they were 30 years ago, if they were, they'd be out of business. I have scopes from many different makers, I'm happy with all of them. I don't own stock in any of the companies so really, I don't care what anybody thinks about any of these scopes, but saying that a scope maker like Leupold is nothing more than 30 year old technology in a fancy box takes away a bit of credibility in your opinion.
i like zeiss conquest for clarity and price

If you are wanting the best value for the dollar , SWFA SS are it. I have 9 of them and they are all solid reliable repeatable scopes. 8 of them are fixed 10 or 12x MQ and 1 is a 3-15 MQ FFP. IMO there isn't a better valued scope on the planet They flat WORK. and they don't break the bank.

If you are wanting the best value for the dollar , SWFA SS are it. I have 9 of them and they are all solid reliable repeatable scopes. 8 of them are fixed 10 or 12x MQ and 1 is a 3-15 MQ FFP. IMO there isn't a better valued scope on the planet They flat WORK. and they don't break the bank.
Surprisingly, those scopes are really something. When a friend and I were getting into hog culling we bought some SS scopes because so many other brands were falling apart from bouncing down ranch roads. A Leupold even and a Trijicon had to be sent in for warranty. The SWFA was at our gun shop as a stop gap while ours were repaired. They stayed on our guns for three years, never a glitch.

I've been in the gun/sporting goods business since the mid 70's and I used to be a big Leupold fan and still like certain models but those models are so overpriced and now that Leupold has changed the way dealers can buy them puts them out of the equation for me. RHR (Red hawk rifles) has Zeiss on sale where you can get the FL V8 for under 2k but my money is going to Tract who's business model I like and they build excellent scopes with the best German Schott glass, etched reticules and lifetime warranty. I don't know of a better scope for the money.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.