New scope huskemaw?

slewis12

I have the 2 vx 6 4x24 and 7x42 but i have been curious about huskemaw scopes and their turrets what do you guys like about them how good are their turret fo accuracy? instead swaroski or leupolds. just want some thoughts i usually use nikon on my factory rifles and leupolds on my customs.

Huskamaw is actually a rebranded Nightforce. It probably has less resale value than the Nightforce. Compared to others I would say it is no better or no less than the competitors. They definitely were at the top of the go to list for sometimes when they did not have all their competitors competing in the long range market. Now they have stiff competition from everyone. This is the reason the new SHV came out. Just to compete and try to keep some marketshare.

The guys at husky claim its the same as NF. I would like to try one myself. all I care about really is how rugged the adjustments are and how accurate they are. The SHV IMO isn't a scope that competes with it. it doesn't have a zero stop or the covered windage turrets. they also only come in 56mm obj. I have no idea why NF decided the 56mm version was the scope they should release first of that model.

Huskemaw scopes offer one advantage over their competitors. They have a patent on ballistic turrets that have a second row of numbers for windage holdovers. Without a license to their patent, other scope companies cannot offer this feature. Burris C4 scope turrets initially had a second row of windage holdovers. Burris had to change their C4 scope turret designs to omit this feature. They now provide a separate label with windage holdovers that users attach to the scope objective bell.

The Huskemaw patent probably does not apply to ballistic turret labels sold by Custom Turret Systems. The sale of a label does not appear to infringe on the Huskemaw patent, which covers scopes with turrets, but not labels for turrets.

I've helped two buddies in the last month set up and sight in their Huskemaws. This is the first I've been around them. Both were 5-20x

Pro's:
Very solid feeling scope, good glass. A very positive/ "definite" feel in the clicks of the turrets. Big knobs, easy to see. Accurate in their adjustments. Zero-stop is nice, I could get used to having that :) The turret engineering is sturdier IMO. Instead of using Leupold-style set-screws around the circumference of the turret to hold it in place, the Huskemaw turret slips down over a splined shaft with one large coin-slotted screw tightened on top to hold it in place. A bit more robust I would say.

Cons:
Maybe a bit on the heavy side for weight. The clicks are 1/3 MOA (I prefer 1/4 MOA for ease of math, but this could be learned). And the price... they run $1400-$1500 don't they?? Little pricey for me. One of the aforementioned friends works for a company that is a Huskemaw dealer so he got his for $1000 (that would be doable IMO).

Overall I like the feel of them but not enough to overcome my preference of 1/4 MOA adjustments and my love of <$1000 Leupolds :D

Just my .02

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts