New scope for 800yd 264 win mag

mcseal2

I have a 264 win mag I'm looking for new glass for. I had a Vortex 4-16x44 Viper on it that performed well, but I'm looking for a little more low light performance. I moved the Viper to my 6mm and decided to upgrade the 264.

I use my 264 as my main hunting rifle for antelope and deer in the Midwest and flatter ground out West. I have shot it a fair amount out to 800yds with the old scope, but haven't taken game that far. I use it for whitetail and the old mature bucks seem to use the very edges of legal shooting light so low light performance is extremely important to me. Past that I want at least a 30ft at 100yd field of view on low power for close or running shots. I don't go looking for long shots, I get close if I can, but like the ability to make them when needed. My load shoots 140gr Berger VLD's at 2950fps.

I like the MOA marks on the horizontal reticle for wind holds. The Vortex had 2 MOA marks, but everything newer has 1 MOA marks now. I have a Leupold 4.5-14x40 1" scope and a Swaro Z5 1" 3.5-18x44 with the 4W on other rifles my wife and I use. I want to go with a 30mm tube here for extra adjustment on my turret, I hope to get to 800yds with a single turn and 250yd zero, plus the better light gathering.

I carry my rifle slung over either shoulder, or in an Eberlestock scabbard often. I'd prefer the windage adjustment knob be covered so I can't accidently move it. I use the MOA marks for windage anyway, don't dial wind. I'm used to checking the elevation before firing when time allows. My hunting style results in some quick shots so I like the rifle to be ready if I need to take a closer shot fast. I haven't had issues with the elevation knob moving unintentionally, but the windage knob has potential to rub on more things in the Eberlestock scabbard, or carried on my left shoulder slung.

I'm hoping for some advice from you all on what the best scopes are that fit all these criteria. Here are a few I'm considering that fit the bill, but I'm open to suggestions. Thanks.

Leupold VX-6 3-18x50 with either TMOA or firedot wind reticle (worried the firedot version might be thicker than unlit one in my 4.5-14x)

Swaro Z6 3-18x50 with the 4W reticle

Huskemaw doesn't have the low end field of view I'd prefer in a 4-16 or 5-20.

Which of these or what other brands should I be looking at?

You might want to look at a March 2.5x25x 42 or 52. Good low end, plenty of high end, and not a lot of weight. I've got one on order for a 26 Nosler that I plan on using like your 264 win mag. If you're interested Bullets.com

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts