New Remington trigger question

Jim Oliver

Hey guys,

Lots of experience with the old Rem. trigger--none with the new one. Just got a 22-250 with the new trigger; haven't even looked at it yet. Is the new trigger adjusted the same as the older one?

Thanks,

Jim

No!

The new trigger has the adjustments in different places, and the screws are now hex head, not slotted.

Also, the glue "Seals of God-da" now pour down into the screw hole so it will be more difficult to remove.

I plan to soak mine in paint remover over night to get rid of the seals, before adjusting.

Other than that, it is just a trigger, and can be adjusted.

One caution, though. The over travel screw is now a part of the safety systewm, and moves to lock the trigger in place when the gun is on safe.

This way, the safety blocks the sear AND the trigger.

It's a good design (much better than the old one), it'll just take a while to get used to.

This morning, I looked at the new trigger--straightforward, except for the over travel adjustment. I couldn't get it to move--may still be glued in place. I have it soaking in de-bonder now.

The comment about the over travel--does that mean it's not adjustable??

Thanks,

Jim
Don't know about the change out--I'll check it out while I have the rifle apart.

[ QUOTE ]
Can you change out the new trigger out with an Old trigger ?

Redbone

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup... exact fit - you might have to clear away a small bit of the stock on the bolt handle side, cuz there a little "Fat" place on the new trigger.

[ QUOTE ]
This morning, I looked at the new trigger--straightforward, except for the over travel adjustment. I couldn't get it to move--may still be glued in place. I have it soaking in de-bonder now.

The comment about the over travel--does that mean it's not adjustable?? Thanks, Jim
Don't know about the change out--I'll check it out while I have the rifle apart.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it's ajustable, it's just that it now does two functions so make sure that when you adjust overtravel, you don't lock it up from working in conjunction with the safety.

The de-bonder solved the stuck screw problem. Then no problem to adjust the over travel screw.

How light have you guys been able to go? I am at 2 1/4 pounds.

Thanks,

Jim

I seem to recall reading an article (written by some mangy old yotebait baiting critter) describing how to adjust the old Rem trigger. Wonder what the odds might be of a similar writeup about the new trigger?

[ QUOTE ]
I seem to recall reading an article (written by some mangy old yotebait baiting critter) describing how to adjust the old Rem trigger. Wonder what the odds might be of a similar writeup about the new trigger?

[/ QUOTE ]

The new trigger is easy to adjust for trigger pull.

Use a 1/16th Allen.

There are two screws on the front of the housing. Pull weight is controlled by the lower screw (towards the bottom).

Insert the hex wrench (push it through the clear sealer if necessary). Turn counter clockwise until the trigger is loose, then tighten the screw until the pressure just holds the trigger forwards and if you pull it, it will return forwards.

This will give you somewhere between 18 oz and 20 oz.

Then turn the screw in until you have the weight you like.

I have worked on 4 so far, and have not seen one that needed adjustment for over travel or creep.

Seems that Rem got it right this time.

I have set mine at ~24 oz, and they work fine.

Hi you guys, When did Rem. change to the new trigger? I bought a 270 WSM this year. Would this have the new version?I was thinking I would need to take it to a smith. Is this something I should be able to do myself?
Thanks
Tim G

[ QUOTE ]
Hi you guys, When did Rem. change to the new trigger? I bought a 270 WSM this year. Would this have the new version?I was thinking I would need to take it to a smith. Is this something I should be able to do myself?
Thanks
Tim G

[/ QUOTE ]

Early spring of 2006.

Some rifles that are purchased recently might have the old one, cuz they have been sitting on the shelf, but any of the fast moving rifles will have the new trigger.

The new one is REAL nice, and Remington will replace the old triggers for free.

What do we need to do to have them replace the old ones? I have several rifles with the old trigger and I like them, but under about 2# they get a little tricky. If the new ones are an improvement then WOW! THanks in advance for any advise.

Just call Remington customer service, and they will tell you what you have to do.

When I ordered my Sendero-II in Feb 2006, I heard that a new trigger was coming out. I called Rem to find out if my new rifle would have the old or the new trigger. They said my calibre was scheduled to be run in June/July, and they didn't know if I would get the old one or new one.

Well... I didn't want no steeenkin' new trigger. cuz I had rebuilt so many of the old ones that I could do it in my sleep, and I figured that the new one had to be worse.

But when I got the rifle, with the new trigger, it took me 5 minutes to love it.

It ain't no Jewell, but it ain't no $200 either.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.