New Reloder

Josh Potter

1 st post

Im new to reloading, like just got my press new. I shoot a TC pro hunter and want a 25-06 Ai. I'm going Hunt deer, coyotes and if a black bear presents a opportunity them too. I'm in VT so the typical shot is under 100 yards but up to 400 where I am. Should I skip the Ai for now stick with the standard 25-06
Keep things simple.
I guess is the Ai not something someone new should jump right on or go for it there's plenty to learn
Also is the 1-7.5 twist the way to go
Even if I get the standard chamber?

thanks in advance

1 st post

Im new to reloading, like just got my press new. I shoot a TC pro hunter and want a 25-06 Ai. I'm going Hunt deer, coyotes and if a black bear presents a opportunity them too. I'm in VT so the typical shot is under 100 yards but up to 400 where I am. Should I skip the Ai for now stick with the standard 25-06
Keep things simple.
I guess is the Ai not something someone new should jump right on or go for it there's plenty to learn
Also is the 1-7.5 twist the way to go
Even if I get the standard chamber?

thanks in advance
Welcome to LRH and enjoy it! Unless your rifle is due for a re-barrel, wait until you are ready.

I have a .270 AI, and I do not fire-form. Instead, I developed accuracy loads for .270 Win and .270 AI. I have a couple of wildcats that I fire-form using the corn of wheat (COW) method and the hydraulic forming die. As you gain more experience in your reloading process, these will make more sense. To be efficient in your reloading process does not happen overnight. As @The Oregonian noted, take your time and enjoy the learning process.

My opinion is free and worth even less, but I would stick to a standard case for now. There is a ton to learn as is without throwing fire forming into the mix. Sure, you will gain some velocity but not enough to change much at 400 and under. Deer will never know the difference between the two.
I have to agree here unless you are due for a new barrel stick with the standard until your reloading chops have developed. The 25/06 is more that capable out to 400 especially with handloads!

Take your time and enjoy the process!

Completely agree with the guys saying to stick with a 'standard' cartridge ... for now. Learn to load, learn to develop loads for accuracy - then - when you are ready, you could even have a local gunsmith ream out your 25-06 to make it an ackley then fire your existing loads so that you then have "ackleyized" cases and then begin learning and experimenting with "wildcat" loading ...

But - if you are like most of the rest of us here - you will likely end up with additional rifles in the mean time ... it's an illness ... and most all of us have it. 😁

Crawl - walk - run ... and have fun along the way at every level of proficiency ... no need to rush it.

For 100-400 yds, the .25-06AI will do nothing a .25-06 Rem won't do. Except add 150fps and shorten barrel life. If you hunted out west, where 400-800 are the norm, the AI would be beneficial.

I would definitely do a 1:7.5" twist. You can shoot the 115-120 cup and core fine, the 100 copper monos, and still spin the 131s fast enough to stabilize them. Supposedly, Berger is coming out with a heavy, and Hornady with a 135 ATip. You need faster than a 1:10" to spin any of those properly.

Nothing wrong with the AI. I'm not sure if it needs set back. If it does, not worth it. If it doesn't, I think some folks will ream for pretty cheap. $150 or something.

As a new reloader, I wouldn't mess with it. I think you have enough on your plate just getting setup and getting some components.

Twist sounds about right for now....Twist and chamber details are a bigger concern when/if you rebarrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.