New old guy in Idaho

Ha! I'm originally from Omahaha, grew up in South Omaha close to 33rd and Harrison. Left in the 70's and only been back to sprinkle my Dad's ashes in the Platt River in Plattsmouth where he grew up. My little brother is a retired LEO from the Denver area and moved back 3 years ago and is a director now in the school district. Sounds like that school district is becoming "woke" like a lot of others unfortunately.

Thanks guys, glad to be here. I'm looking forward to gaining more knowledge in the long range game. I've always been a lover of the short range hunt but being an avid reloader of many cartridges it's something I've always wanted to get into. Funny because I shoot quite a bit, all one smokeless cartridge or another, but literally every Elk I've taken has been with a 405 gr chunk of pure soft lead, flying at a whopping 8-9 fps out of a muzzle loader….crawling on my belly in the snow. However, last year I shot a cow in the bottom by a creek the last day of the early September season with a short sleeve shirt on. The Wife and I were set up 200 yards apart on different fingers leading down to the bottom and I had two cows and a two calves run right by the tree I was set up under. I anchored the lead cow leading my off the shoulder shot about a foot too far forward, which turned out to be a good thing. I hit her at the base of the neck, no meat destroyed and she didn't take a single "running" step after the smack….and as y'all know, then the fun started with a knife and a frame pack up the mountain. A lot of work, but great memories and time spent with my best hunting hunting partner….my Wife of 30+ years.
Cheers, Scott
View attachment 454474

Welcome to the site Scott ! Im new here also . I burst out laughing looking at your pistol pic. 🤩
Looks like me shooting my buddies 454 Casull and 500 magnum. Freakin nastiest guns I've have ever fired !
Bunch of good guys here with a wealth of info .