New old guy in Idaho

Idahohoho

Hello Brother's,

I've been on the site since 2021' but haven't really posted anything, I started shooting & hunting when I was 8 years old in eastern Nebraska with my Dad and Brother with an old Remington Scoremaster 22 and Stevens single shot 410….still have both guns. Moved to Idaho back in the mid 70's and fast forward to 2023 - I'm close to retirement and still a gun enthusiast, reloader/shooter of 20ish calibers, and wanna-be gunsmith / fly tyer. Still get out and climb the mountains to hunt, fish and hike, we have been blessed with a home nearly within walking distance, on the edge of the Sawtooth wilderness and have Elk, Deer, Mountain Lions, bobcats, "Dead Wolves 🤠", etc. etc. in our yard on a regular basis. My Wife knows if she finds my body when I die, she can throw my ashes in the beautiful headwaters of the South Fork of the Payette River and rest assured, she did what I wanted…. I have NO intentions of moving back to Nebraska!!

Happy Hump Day! Scott

Thanks guys, glad to be here. I'm looking forward to gaining more knowledge in the long range game. I've always been a lover of the short range hunt but being an avid reloader of many cartridges it's something I've always wanted to get into. Funny because I shoot quite a bit, all one smokeless cartridge or another, but literally every Elk I've taken has been with a 405 gr chunk of pure soft lead, flying at a whopping 8-9 fps out of a muzzle loader….crawling on my belly in the snow. However, last year I shot a cow in the bottom by a creek the last day of the early September season with a short sleeve shirt on. The Wife and I were set up 200 yards apart on different fingers leading down to the bottom and I had two cows and a two calves run right by the tree I was set up under. I anchored the lead cow leading my off the shoulder shot about a foot too far forward, which turned out to be a good thing. I hit her at the base of the neck, no meat destroyed and she didn't take a single "running" step after the smack….and as y'all know, then the fun started with a knife and a frame pack up the mountain. A lot of work, but great memories and time spent with my best hunting hunting partner….my Wife of 30+ years.
Cheers, Scott
02AEB3B6-BEBF-4EE2-AAD4-FB535DBE5F69.jpeg
BE3A0254-DE33-448A-9164-9C0C970CB47F.jpeg

Welcome from AZ—love your new(ish) home state. I try to get up there annually to fish the South Fork on the Snake River. Headed up that way later this year for an archery deer and elk hunt (buddy has the elk tag, and I didn't want to be bow-less helping him out…plus it'd be our luck all we'd see are deer with one elk tag between us). We'll be further East of you in the Pallisades area.
6768CE0C-0991-43BA-8F57-61536C3307B8.jpeg

Thanks, I've been here long enough I'm pretty much a native. Especially when in the valley down in Boise, it's been ruined by southern Californian fruitcakes that drive like a bunch of ********.
If you get an Elk down up there keep your eyes peeled, there's big fuzzy things that like Elk more than we do. I have Elk in my yard all year except the dead of winter, the snow is too deep here until April or so.

That's my front yard and that's what I do every day when I'm up where I prefer to be. A lot of work but would much rather be doing this than deal with all the people at our place in the valley.