New Mexico Mule Deer?

bowtechboss177

Was thinking about putting in for a New Mexico rifle hunt. I have narrowed a couple units down. Unit 2c and unit 2b. I have done a little bit of scouting in 2c and found some good sign but haven't scouted 2b. I was wondering which unit you guys think would be best to wonder around in. I'm too late to put in for a hunt but I can wait till next year. Any information will be appreciated.

Depends on the weather. Need deep snow in Co to have some deer migrate down. Some big bucks do come down if the snow is right. Not like what is once was back in the late 70's on Caracus Mesa. Hunted one year muzzle loader over around Gas Buggy Wells and did see some small bucks. The main road was like a super highway since most of the well site roads are locked off and you have to walk down them. Still could not get away from other hunters walking down the same roads. Something to think about.

I heard that unit 32 is really good. It is also known as the burros 16 miles south of silver city my friends dad got a shot every day but was not able to connect.

Oh man poor luck. Yeah I was looking into a high country hunt in New Mexico and the Southern portion of New Mexico is pretty good for elk but I haven't heard a whole lot about mule deer hunting in that part. Were the bucks he saw any good?

Sounds like there is too much hunting pressure in 2b. Any info about 2c? I have shed hunted parts of the unit and found some real big sheds but never really seen any game.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.