New Mexico Gila Nat'l Forest wildfire

Korhil78

Dont mean to be the bearer of bad news but for those of you that drew tags in 22/16B and a little west of there might be in for some rough times. Lightening caused a wildfire there and it has burned 11500 acres so far and is still at 0% containment due to winds. Winds are supposed to be bad all week :(. With winds blowing from west to east, it's not looking good for 16B.

Fires may not be ideal but they are natures way of revitalizing an area. With a little rain it will be amazing for new growth in the burnt area and the game will be there for the fresh green shoots to feed on. I don't know that I would be totally disappointed.

It is at 50% containment now but it has burned 280,075 acres which is roughly 436 sq. miles. I can't predict the weather but I sure hope it rains there but rain has been so iffy around here for a while.

Updated Information on the Gila Wilderness fire:

Fire Facts:
Date Started: 05/16/2012
Number of Personnel: 303 including
Cause: Lightning
2 hand crews and 4 camp crews
Size: 290,630 acres (454 square miles)
Equipment: 4 engines, 6 Water Tenders, 1 Dozers
Percent Contained: 75
Aircraft: 5 Helicopters

You guys in those hunting areas better pray for rain so that the grass will grow back!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.