Gila 16a

the blur

Anyone hunt the Gila, 16a ? 2nd week of rifle. I imagine even though it's a tough draw, it's public land, and thus potential orange army problems?
People talk of trophy potential, but I know alot of NM residents draw that area easily. I imagine my guide will be taking me deep from the wall tent area.

Any true life experience in 16a rifle season?
What's the average shot distance?

I have never hunted the unit but have been in it quite a bit and have hunted the unit next to it (16D) quite a bit. There are some good glassing spots in 16A. Another good thing is that there are no muzzleloader hunts in your unit so the elk don't get ran as ragged before your hunt. The only two hunts before yours is a mobility impaired hunt and the first rifle hunt. The mobility impaired hunters will mostly stay on the roads. There are 75 first hunt rifle tags and then your hunt has 125 tags. The reason I tell you this is because you will need to get off the beaten path to get in some good elk numbers. 16A is large enough for you to do that. 125 tags means there will be a lot of people driving roads so if you get off the roads a ways and find some glassing spots then you will be around less hunters.

Depending on where you are at, shots can be from 100 yards to as far as you are capable of shooting.

The unit is a very sought after unit so your chances of drawing that tag even as a resident are pretty low. I have heard that big bulls are on the decline in 16A but you hear that story everywhere. There has to be some big bulls in there somewhere. Just gotta dig deep and find them.

Once in a lifetime draw, and I have 2 guides lined up. Both said it's a dry year, and the antler tips will be lousy no matter what. They also said, yes there are big big bulls running around Gila, but it's over rated. and it's mostly a road hunt in, & then walk a mile if you wish.. to a glassing point.

It is a drier year but I would be wary of any guide saying that you are going to be road hunting and then hiking a mile to a glassing point. UNLESS they already have bulls spotted in the area.

How big of a bull are you looking to harvest?

Honestly, I have seen so many guys eat tag soup because they didn't want to shoot a 6x6, and they get too picky. I'm not picky choosy. I'm hungry : )

Haha...well that is the best attitude to go in with. I dont know of the guides that you are speaking of but it just makes me uneasy for you if all they are gonna do is road hunt.

Congrats on the tag, lot a elk in that unit and you should have a fun hunt. Definitely not a 350 around every tree but they are there as well as some bigger. I don't think folks are as optimistic about growth this year because of how dry it's been but even in dry years I know those bulls can still put on some inches in that country. Good luck!

Anyone hunt the Gila, 16a ? 2nd week of rifle. I imagine even though it's a tough draw, it's public land, and thus potential orange army problems?
People talk of trophy potential, but I know alot of NM residents draw that area easily. I imagine my guide will be taking me deep from the wall tent area.

Any true life experience in 16a rifle season?
What's the average shot distance?
I drew a 16A rifle tag for this fall.. mind sharing your experience from last year? 4064807184

Recent Posts