new member, looking for a rifle scope

outdoorsinvt

Hey, This is Bill, I'm a newbie hunter from Vermont. I'm just looking for some advice on a new riflescope. I have a Browning Lightweight Stalker that my wife bought me last year. I'm still a bit of a noivce, only been out with my friends a couple of times. I do know that I could use a new scope and I have a few bucks to spend. Could anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

Bill,

A little more info would be helpful.

Intended use of scope?
Mainly target/competition?
Hunting?
Lowlight ability needed?
Long range friendly?
Reticle preference?
Magnification desired?

And lastly, what consitutes "a few bucks to spend", you can spend a couple hundred to a couple of thousand depending on what you're after.

Chris

Hey Chris,
Thanks for your reply. This scope will be mainly used for long-range hunting, but I will also be doing plenty of target practice at an outdoor range. I am really new to this, so some of these questions I honestly don't know the answer to yet. I could probably afford to spend $400-$500, if I had to, although the way the economy is so uncertain these days, I'm just looking for the best scope for the money. Thanks!, Bill

Bill,

Given the stated price range you've got a few solid options. Depending on the power range you want all of these can fit the bill.

Nikon, Buckmaster or Monarch
Sightron S3
Bushnell 3200 or 4200
Used Leupold on Ebay
Used Zeiss on Ebay

The last two will probably be on the low magnification side unless you get a great deal.

There are others out there also, but this will give you something to look at until you figure out exactly what you want/need.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.