New Member Introduction

Opus

Hello,
I use the screen name of Opus on the forums I join but my real name is Jim. I thought I was a member here because I've been receiving the news letter for years but I found out differently after attempting to reply to a post about a contest.

I've been shooting since I was 8 when I got my first BB gun. I've ran through the gamut of "must haves", best caliber ever or the firearm of the week phase. All of this has been thinned down over the years when I started reloading. It seemed like I could never keep enough reloading supplies on hand. Once I decided on the calibers I was going to standardize on it allowed me to buy in bulk quantities of bullets, primers, brass and powder. As I got better at reloading I became interested in shooting further and further. My wife enjoys shooting out to 300 yards with her AR-15 and my son served as an Artillery Chief in the Marines. He married a petite lady who had never shot. Four years later, she went on a boar hunt with us in Texas, and took down three animals with head shots using her Lady Savage in .308 with a Leopold 2-7x scope.

It was on these boar hunts I was able to first hunt at ranges beyond 300 yards. Last year I successfully took two boars at 600 yards. I found a range in Casa Grande, Az that has targets out to 1000 yards. I've practiced shooting to the 800 yard gong and can consistently hit it if the wind doesn't get above 6 mph. I will be going hunting in a week and the rancher has set out a feeder for me at 800 yards. I plan on shooting in the morning to negate the wind as much as possible, I'll update this post in a couple of weeks.

After reading numerous articles on this site and finding a new in the box Remington Ultra Mag receiver for cheap, I've planned a new rifle that will give me longer reach. In a nutshell it will be blue printed with a 28 inch 1:10 barrel chambered in .375 RUM installed so I can launch the Sierra 350 gr Matchkings. Why not .338? No other reason that I love the .357 H&H and I can't afford to feed a CheyTac .408. Please keep writing articles and I will continue reading them; I've learn so much from this community. Regards, Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.