New member - .243 rifle recommendations?

wirehairs

Hi. I've been hunting for almost 40 years, archery and gun. While I have a variety of shotguns (it's also slugs only where I live in Minnesota), I've relied only on a Browning A-bolt in 30/06 for elk and deer and moose.

I've decided I'd like to buy another rifle for coyotes, wild pigs, pronghorns... You get the idea. So, my first question, is a .243 a good choice as a 2nd rifle to cover all my needs?

If it is, then I was considering the Browning x-bolt with the black synthetic stock and muzzle brake. Or I'd consider the Hell's Canyon as well. However, since I already own several Brownings, I'd also consider a Sako. My only criteria is that it be available with a synthetic stock, shoot well with factory ammo, and be under $1200 or so. I look forward to your suggestions.

I appreciate the wealth of expertise on this site!

welcome to the forum. being an avid Savage fan you know what i'm going to suggest. Savages are some of the best shooting guns right out of the box and don't cost big bucks. the 243 would be an excellent choice but i would recommend the 7/08 as well, it has little kick to it and it's a great all around caliber.

Bruce

morning, very good choice, preference, Remington 700 or 721. 700 varminter. Ruger

M77 varminter. or build ur own. 5.5 Hart barrel, ss, straight contour. fitted and

chambered. H&S stock. timmey trigger. u will not go wrong. get the fast twist. 77gr

to 105gr bullets. u will spend about the same amount of $$, I have one

remington 721 action AI.lightbulb:)gun)

Tikka T3 , either .243 or 7-08.

+1

I consider Tikka's to be the benchmark by which other factory rifles are judged. That doesn't mean they're perfect or that a person is sure to like them but for a straight up factory rifle at the price point they're going for, there's things about them that are surprisingly high in quality. User adjustable trigger that's very very nice, the bolt is really smooth, flawless feeding and extraction and they tend to be reliably accurate and that's nothing to sneeze at. With handloads, it's pretty common to get consistent 1/2"ish 5-shot groups. In the 243, the magazine is long enough to seat the bullets to the rifling (although I don't). Personally, I prefer the laminate stock models in stainless. They just feel better and look great as well. The Tikka 243's have a 10 twist barrel so they're not intended to run heavy bullets but 87 grain bullets seem to work fine although 75's seem to be more in their wheelhouse. That's not to say other brands aren't great too but I often find myself comparing them to Tikka's.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.