New LRH member is looking for a shooting group and classes in Montana

chanceinmt

Len. I am a new member and am recently handycapped due to the loss of my left leg......I used to shoot medium range quite a bit with Pat Goodale and was considered quite proficent out to 550 yards or so with conventional bolt guns action tuned and my reloads. I am able to ride again with my prosethic but will never be able to run and gun again. Are there competitions and/or LR classes for physically challenged shooters? I would be greatly interested to participate if so. If matches don't exist, I would like to get seriously involved with starting such. Also do you know if a LR shooting group or club exists in the Missoula MT area?

Thanks
Doug

Doug, I have moved your post to its own new thread topic which will give your questions a much larger audience.

Best wishes!

Chance- check out Big Sky Long Range Precision on Facebook. They have shoot in Townsend the first of every month. I went to the one on Sunday and it was a great time. My buddy has a prosthetic and he also competed. You would be fine.

Kane

Thanks B-p and Kane for the replys......these suggestions both sound great. I am currently in an in-house Physical Therapy unit in Missoula recovering from an ankle replacement on my remaining leg. I should be out of here by the middle of May and hopefully starting to walk with my prosthetic. Kane that is encouraging to hear about someone else competing with a prosthetic. Are the competitors only using rifles built on chassies? Or are conventionally stocked rifles also used? My wife gave me a Sig 2000 rangefinder and a top of the line Bog Pod to help with my shooting which I used to fill several of my tags last fall but all of my rifles are conventially stocked at this time. Working on a slim budget LOL I a planning a build on a Boyds laminated stock pillar and glass bedded in 280 AI or 28 Nosler. My current best LR hunting rig is a kimber Montana in 300 WSM which is a.5 shooter at one to two hundred yds. with 180 Accubonds. What are you two using for LR rigs?

Dougc

Doug,

Good to hear you are on the mend. There were all sorts of rifles being used. I would say 50/50 between stocks and chasis. There were all different levels of competitors. It was a great learning experience and all off the competitors were friendly and helpful. The range in Townsend is also top notch. I will be going back next month.

Kane

I was using my buddies .308, waiting on my 338-378 Weatherby to be completed. Also looking into the RPR in 6.5.

Kane

Wow Kane What a thummper you are getting. How are you having it built? Will this be a dual purpose rig.......details. lol. Sounds like fun. I hope we will meet sometime. I am working like a mad man to get back on my foot and walking again.

Thanks Z for the link. I have not been up to the Deer Creeek Range for 5 or 6 years as Whitakers in Hamilton was closer. I am looking forward to going back and getting started shooting again.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.