New Leupold VX5-HD 3-15X44 Review

DoneNOut

Just received today and mounted. First off, Warne Maxima QD rings are way better than the Leupy QRW2 rings for installation ease. Especially for leveling the reticle. Moving forward...

Pros:
Clear glass
Wide field and even at max power
Good colors
Stereo dial feel of side focus knob
Excited to get the custom dial

Cons:
At 3X, the lowest power, there is a distinct crescent/double pane looking sight picture on the edges. Its annoying. Dial it to 4X and this tunnels out, but geez. (***Edited to add I'm seeing the reflection from off the 26" bull barrel. My scope is set further back for my turtle neck so I can establish eye relief without crawling up on the gun. SO, no fault on the scope there.)
The eye box is tight, as in its hard to keep all shadow out. If you look to the edges you can't get that distinct black vs clear sight picture, if you know what I mean. I look through my 3 Burris XTR II, 1 Bushnell Tactical Elite, and even my 3 Fullfield II line and I can see the where black meets clear picture on the total circumference of the sight picture. With the Leupold you if look to see the distinct line on one side then the other side washes out. This is the same with my FX-3 6X42, so I guess this is a Leupold thing.
B4F7AABE-D965-433D-A7DC-2336061D64EC.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you for the review. I've got a few of these, and I like em. I'm not sure about the washout at the edges, but as I was reading it and wondering if mine did that, I realized that I wouldn't have noticed it. I don't pay enough attention to the details like that. I will tell you that they are tough too. I dropped one in the mountains this year and it rolled down some rocks. Took a literal chunk out of the elevation turret and 2 big dings on the bell, and it was a while before I could check, but I had zero poi shift, which impressed me because it isn't a heavy tactical scope/hammer, but a really lightweight hunting scope..

Thank you for the review. I've got a few of these, and I like em. I'm not sure about the washout at the edges, but as I was reading it and wondering if mine did that, I realized that I wouldn't have noticed it. I don't pay enough attention to the details like that. I will tell you that they are tough too. I dropped one in the mountains this year and it rolled down some rocks. Took a literal chunk out of the elevation turret and 2 big dings on the bell, and it was a while before I could check, but I had zero poi shift, which impressed me because it isn't a heavy tactical scope/hammer, but a really lightweight hunting scope..
Can you do me a favor and dial it down to 3x and see if your scope has that double pane thing. I'd like to know if this is usual or if mine is just screwed up.

Can you do me a favor and dial it down to 3x and see if your scope has that double pane thing. I'd like to know if this is usual or if mine is just screwed up.
I'll take a look. I've about got a sick baby to sleep here, so it may be an hour or two.

I recently put one on my lightweight 6.5 shorty.
I had a vortex lht and the eye box was terrible so I decided to give the vx5 a try, I'm glad I did its much better and I haven't had any of the tunneling issues.
I've taken it out to 800 yards so far and it dialed in true

Hello sir. I wasn't able to see what you described above. I can look in better light tomorrow, but I couldn't see it tonight.

Yep...checked mine and I can see what you're saying. It's only noticeable when you get close to the eye piece, I tend to ride right at the outside edge of eye relief and thus hadn't been bothered by it before.

Just received today and mounted. First off, Warne Maxima QD rings are way better than the Leupy QRW2 rings for installation ease. Especially for leveling the reticle. Moving forward...

Pros:
Clear glass
Wide field and even at max power
Good colors
Stereo dial feel of side focus knob
Excited to get the custom dial

Cons:
At 3X, the lowest power, there is a distinct crescent/double pane looking sight picture on the edges. Its annoying. Dial it to 4X and this tunnels out, but geez. (***Edited to add I'm seeing the reflection from off the 26" bull barrel. My scope is set further back for my turtle neck so I can establish eye relief without crawling up on the gun. SO, no fault on the scope there.)
The eye box is tight, as in its hard to keep all shadow out. If you look to the edges you can't get that distinct black vs clear sight picture, if you know what I mean. I look through my 3 Burris XTR II, 1 Bushnell Tactical Elite, and even my 3 Fullfield II line and I can see the where black meets clear picture on the total circumference of the sight picture. With the Leupold you if look to see the distinct line on one side then the other side washes out. This is the same with my FX-3 6X42, so I guess this is a Leupold thing. View attachment 247608
I have that same slight shaded edge also. Comparing them to my Sightron STAC scope and I'm actually pretty impressed with my STAC. It appears every bit as clear as the 5HD.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.