New Here, Old Everywhere Else

michaelnel

Some history about me:

My first rifle was a mail order surplus Mauser 98. Even came with a bayonet. This was probably back in the late 1960s. I got the bug and bought a Winchester Model 70 in .270. Then a Remington 700BDL in 7mm Remington mag. Then I got bitten by the assault rifle bug, and bought a Heckler & Koch HK91 in 7.62 NATO. Loved that rifle. I could shoot sub-MOA groups all day long with that thing loaded with Israeli Berdan-primed military surplus ammo. I handloaded for the 7 mag, and got down to some 1/2 MOA and better stuff with my handloads. That was in the 1980s. For some reason, I moved on to some other all-consuming hobby and got rid of all my weapons and reloading gear, and didn't shoot again until maybe five years ago.

Then my long time buddy (who had actually bought some of my guns and my reloading gear and still owns them) got me back into shooting. Started with pistols (he GAVE me back my mint condition H&K P9S .45ACP!! What a guy!) and I bought a Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special 1911. I bought a Smith & Wesson "Stealth Hunter" in .44 magnum and found I really really enjoy shooting that caliber. I also bought a Ruger Bisley Hunter in .44 mag, and just recently finally decided (after shooting my buddy's heavily farkled Remington 700 and finding I hadn't lost the touch) to get a .308 of my own.

After a lot of research I ordered a Savage 10FCP HS Precision, and picked it up a couple weeks ago. I installed EGW 20MOA HD picatinny rail, a Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50 with 35mm Vortex / Seekins rings, Matthews Kydex cheekpiece and Harris bipod. I also installed a Rifle Basix SAV2 trigger. It's breaking at a crisp 1 1/4 lbs with no creep or overtravel that I can feel.

Hoping to get into 1000 yard shooting with this rig, and I'm really excited about it. I have started handloading load development for it too, working through some OCW testing.

I live in Angels Camp, CA and shoot at the Angels Gun Club, a private LE range that a buddy has access to, and Sacramento Valley Shooting Center in Sloughhouse, CA (they have up to 1000 yard range there)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.