new guy

jakebrake

Ok I am looking into getting into reloading.I have wanted to do it for decades but finely have the time.My question is.Is it harder to reload for a semi auto than say a Bolt action.And if so why thanx.

Welcome to the addiction! No real difference, you could argue full lenght vs. neck sizing etc. . . but not much difference at all. The Sierra book lists seperate charges for autoloaders.

The only HUGE difference is a Semi Auto tends to eat through a Heck of a Lot More Ammo. And if that semi happens to be 223... do yourself a favor and buy a *GOOD* progressive :)

Have a good one
Gary

It's been a while since I've dealt with semi-auto's, but I remember some of guys that I used to hunt with that used Browning BAR's and Remington 742's had to go to "small base" dies. This prevented cases from getting stuck in the chamber after firing. I dunno. JohnnyK.

There may be a very big dfference depending on the auto you are loading for.
If it's a service rifle you have to be very careful not to produce high port pressures.
If it's a BAR you can shoot anything.
In either case you cannot run as high of pressure as you can in a bolt rifle.
You must also ensure the shoulder is pushed back on each loading at least .002-.003" to prevent slam fires.
As mentioned before checkout the sierra manual on autoloaders or just give them a call.

Thanx guys.I was just thinkin of getting a AR15 for yokes.And a BAR for the wife.I personally dont burn up the lead.But the wife now cant empty a bananna clip on a deer.Between lead and brakes on her jeep.I am always reachin in my pocket:rolleyes:

Enjoy! Wait! Thats on oriental food boxes. You will love reloading and all the info you can amass in a short time. Take your time and read, listen, and study. be safe. If it does't seem right, ask or don't do it.gun)

It's been a while since I've dealt with semi-auto's, but I remember some of guys that I used to hunt with that used Browning BAR's and Remington 742's had to go to "small base" dies. This prevented cases from getting stuck in the chamber after firing. I dunno. JohnnyK.

You also have to find the right powder and the right charge to use ,as using a fast burning powder can and will damage your action if the pressure is to strong for the bolt in a semi. A medium burn rate powder is best for semi's.
In my old winchester 308, I found that IMR 3031 was the best powder for it.
I can't remmember the charge off hand, but the recycle of the bolt work the best with this powder. Also , the gas port will stay pretty clean.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.