new guy

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by jakebrake, Aug 12, 2011.

1. jakebrake

jakebrake Well-Known Member

Ok I am looking into getting into reloading.I have wanted to do it for decades but finely have the time.My question is.Is it harder to reload for a semi auto than say a Bolt action.And if so why thanx.

2. dig

dig Well-Known Member

Welcome to the addiction! No real difference, you could argue full lenght vs. neck sizing etc. . . but not much difference at all. The Sierra book lists seperate charges for autoloaders.

3. boomtube

boomtube Well-Known Member

"Is it harder to reload for a semi auto than say a Bolt action.And if so why"

Normally there is no difference in the loading methods.

4. diriel

diriel Well-Known Member

The only HUGE difference is a Semi Auto tends to eat through a Heck of a Lot More Ammo. And if that semi happens to be 223... do yourself a favor and buy a *GOOD* progressive :)

Have a good one
    Gary

5. johnnyk

johnnyk Well-Known Member

It's been a while since I've dealt with semi-auto's, but I remember some of guys that I used to hunt with that used Browning BAR's and Remington 742's had to go to "small base" dies. This prevented cases from getting stuck in the chamber after firing. I dunno. JohnnyK.

6. RockZ

RockZ Well-Known Member

There may be a very big dfference depending on the auto you are loading for.
    If it's a service rifle you have to be very careful not to produce high port pressures.
    If it's a BAR you can shoot anything.
    In either case you cannot run as high of pressure as you can in a bolt rifle.
    You must also ensure the shoulder is pushed back on each loading at least .002-.003" to prevent slam fires.
    As mentioned before checkout the sierra manual on autoloaders or just give them a call.

7. jakebrake

jakebrake Well-Known Member

Thanx guys.I was just thinkin of getting a AR15 for yokes.And a BAR for the wife.I personally dont burn up the lead.But the wife now cant empty a bananna clip on a deer.Between lead and brakes on her jeep.I am always reachin in my pocket:rolleyes:

8. 7 loader

7 loader Well-Known Member

Enjoy! Wait! Thats on oriental food boxes. You will love reloading and all the info you can amass in a short time. Take your time and read, listen, and study. be safe. If it does't seem right, ask or don't do it.gun)

9. gunpower

gunpower Well-Known Member

You also have to find the right powder and the right charge to use ,as using a fast burning powder can and will damage your action if the pressure is to strong for the bolt in a semi. A medium burn rate powder is best for semi's.
    In my old winchester 308, I found that IMR 3031 was the best powder for it.
    I can't remmember the charge off hand, but the recycle of the bolt work the best with this powder. Also , the gas port will stay pretty clean.