New guy with new toys

Oklahoman

gun)I just got back into or am getting back into shooting again. I hunted alot over 30 years ago and have recently gotten the oppertunity to get back into it again.
Always loved the idea of long range hunting. Now that I live in OK I don't get too many long range shots, yet. I got eager and bought 3 rifles trying to fill the eagerness to get back into hunting. First a Tika in 30-06, second a T/C in a 7mm-08 and the third a customized M70 set up with 6mm / 284.
The M70 has really got me excited, it shoots so sweet and I am looking for an area that i can test a 1K shot. I am wanting to change the target scope that is on it and put on perhaps a Bushnel with a range finder in it. The gun weighs 11 Lbs which is pushing the heavy side but if i can set up on coyet at over 500 yds it would balance out carrying it around. I am getting reinterduced to reloading and have to research reloading equipment and techniques as it has been a long time since i done anything.
looking for any help on setting up what it takes to filling old dreams that have not gone away.
Oklahoman

Nice to see another Okie on here. Sounds like you have some good rifles to start with. It is alot of fun.

Welcome
Mike

I recently became a widow and sold my place shortly after and that has allowed me to fulfill some old dreams. But everything has changed greatly and I should have done more research into the the new things out, custom guns, before buying but you can never have too many. I also have the T/C in a handgun 7mm-08 with a scope but was not satisfied with the difficulty shooting it so bought the long barrel.

That 6-284 should be great long range coyote medicine. I was recently going to get my old ruger 220 Swift re-done in 6-284 but the local gunsmith told me that I might have problems getting it to feed in a Ruger. So instead, I went with a 6 Long Dasher.

Are you wanting a scope with built in electronic rangefinder, or a scope with a "tactical" style reticle (which can be used for ranging)? I would recommend a separate rangefinder, just because I know how well they work. I hear very little about the electronic rangefinding scopes and don't know anyone at all that has one.

The tactical style scopes (mil or moa reticle) with tall easy to reach adjustments are the most popular for long range stuff. But if you're talking 600 yds and less..........you don't need the tall finger click adjustments. I use a moa reticle for holdover out to 600 with my 22-250........never touch the adjustments at all. Another method that is catching on here of late is a yardage turret. Where you range the target and then dial the elevation knob to the same distance (knob will be marked in 200, 300, 400, ect.)

Just some ideas to stoke your fire.

Sorry to hear of your loss.

the Tka and the T/C got Nikon with BDC but i am still getting educated on this and read about the Bushnel and thought that this might reduce some movement if the scope had a range finder, but still out on this. open for good long range optics:rolleyes:

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.