New guy with Rifle

flounder

Well, Im new to the board so I figured I would say hi.

Living in Columbus OH so if anyone wants to shoot some time let me know. I've been shooting all my life and have always wanted to get into the long range stuff. I put my rifle together about 2.5 months month ago after doing a ton of reading and I have been out to Thunder Valley here in Ohio with it twice. I have to say that all the reading I did prior to building has really helped to keep me from having to spend more money to reach the 1000 yard mark. For it being only my second time out, I was able to hit all the steel targets from 200-1000 yards and was lucky enough to make a 3 shot group just under 6 inches on paper at 1K. My rifle is currently out at Thunder Valley now getting a Harrels brake, thread protector, and tactical bolt knob installed. I wanted the brake so that I am able to spot for myself at distance. Recoil wasnt a factor. Well, know that you know me, here's my girl prior to the stuff being done to it as we speak. Thanks allot guys and I look forward to learning as much as possible.

Remington 700 5R Milspec .308 (24" 5R Barrel with 11.25 Twist)
Burris Extreme Tactical 30mm Rings (Med)
Warne 20 MOA Base
Bushnell Elite Tactical 6x24x50 Scope

Yeah I know I had the bipod on backwards in the last pic.

308pics010.jpg

308pics012.jpg

bipod001.jpg

Last edited:
you have an awesome rifle ..i have 1 also :) with a pride fowler rr800-1 scope ive only been shooting out to 500 yards ..@ 500 yards with factory ammo(fed gmm2 175gr.) ive shot a groop of about 4 in. on a 16x8" steel im limited to only factory ammo for now and shoot on calm days here. the tradewinds here in hawaii kicks up to like 15 -20 on the norm so long shotts are kinda tricky..can you get me info on your brake install as i just ordered another 5r only in 300 win mag and am kinda recoil sensitive ..thanks

That's the way to do it. In just a couple of months sub moa @ 1K.

You're well on your way.

Regarding the backwards bipod. That's a good thing.

Especially in the mountains when prone shooting uphill on a steep slope.

But you'll want it frontwards for shooting down hill.

With a weighty rifle they tend to fold up which really messes with the first cold barrel shot.

That's the way to do it. In just a couple of months sub moa @ 1K.

You're well on your way.

Regarding the backwards bipod. That's a good thing.

Especially in the mountains when prone shooting uphill on a steep slope.

But you'll want it frontwards for shooting down hill.

With a weighty rifle they tend to fold up which really messes with the first cold barrel shot.

Never thought about the bipod issue for terrain shots. I doubt it would cause any problems since my rifle isnt that heavy and the 308 doesnt produce much recoil.

6 inch group at 1K is sub MOA. :) . 6MOA actually :D:D
Im heading back out this weekend to pick up my rifle and shoot some more. Addictive hobbies suck for my wallet.
I think my next rifle will be something custom along the lines of a 300WSM, 7mmWSM, 300 Hulk, or 338 of some sort. I just dont know at this point.. I actually want them all. I like the idea of the 300 hulk but I dont like the idea that I will basically have to make my own brass for it.

Last edited:
flounder, that looks awesome. I just ordered one of them this morning and it should ship sometime in March. With that twist, what bullets/load are you using to get the results you are getting?

flounder, that looks awesome. I just ordered one of them this morning and it should ship sometime in March. With that twist, what bullets/load are you using to get the results you are getting?

That group was with 44.5 grains of Varget and a 168 Amax. I will be workin up some new loads this weekend using the Lapua 155 Scenar and the 175 Sierra Match King. I want to push up the velocity so that I can reach out to about 1300 is my goal. Right now my distance is limited by the elevation adjustments within the scope so I will push the rounds a bit faster to adjust for it.

I also just got the rifle back from the smith and now she looks like this.

Rifle with thread protector installed. You really cant even see where the thread protector meets the barrel.
IMG_6136.jpg

IMG_6139.jpg

Tactical Bolt knob
IMG_6137.jpg

Thread protector removed.
IMG_6142.jpg

Muzzle brake threaded on.
IMG_6144.jpg

IMG_6145.jpg

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts