New Guy looking for 22-250 pet loads

VA_Pigwhistle

I shoot a Kimber Varmint Pro and have been using 4064 / 55 gr v-max and speer bt match 52 gr. Can anyone help with pet loads? Thanks in advance.

I've shot and reloaded 22-250 and the Ackley version for 35 years.

This past year I bought a Tikka 595 Master Class with 1:14 twist x 23" factory barrel. NXS 8-32 optics

Berger bullets are my favorite and I chose a 52 gr. bullet in a MATCH (small hollowpoint with a flat base.)
I started averaging accuracy of 1" at 100 yards using Varget, 760, Imr4895, RL15 and some others. Next session I seated that bullet 4 thou from the rifling all the groups shrunk in half.

Shooting through a chrony I found that Ramshot BigGame provided the highest average velocity and very best 5 shot groups.

Caution: You'll have to start lower and work up on powder quantity.

My pet load is:
Nosler Custom brass with 41.o BigGame, Berger 52 Match, seated 4 thou from rifling, avg. velocity 3903 fps
There is minimal VISUAL pressure sign on the brass or primer but it must be on the hot side since my brass is reloaded only 5x before it's discarded.
I did a 1/4" group at 200 yards

Varget provided single digit ES and SD but the veloicty was only 3650 fps

What an awsome site. I have been on other sites over the years and not gotten much help. Thanks so much for the responses. I have been out of the loop for several years and need to work up better loads. I just aquired permission to hunt a farm I hunted years ago that was sold. The new owner finally admitted he had a groundhog problem. I pretty much cleaned it out before he bought it. Just a short tractor ride from my place
I was a member of the marksmanship team in the USAR and got hooked on long range shooting. I will start testing loads as soon as it warms up a bit.
I am greatful for being a part of this group

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.