new from Church Point, La

bmcnabb02

Been reading the site for a while, lots of good stuff here. Duck hunting has always been my first love but due to lack of participation on the ducks behalf, deer hunting is closing the gap. I hunt our coastal marshes and have a lot of 300+ shot opportunities, so I just got with a local gunsmith on a custom build in .280 AI to replace the .25-06 I've been shooting for the last 10 years.

Hey, you're in Cajun Country. Mighty fine eatin' in that neck of the woods.

Welcome aboard. Its a fun place.

I lived in Luling/Boutte (St. Charles parish) area for about 7 years. Did the coastal march thing once. Just hiking. Tall grass and stuff that created waves when we jumped up and down. I didn't much care for it.

Spent some time in swamps around Lac Des Alamands (spelling wrong). Way too many critters that were hostile to the human.:rolleyes:

Welcome to the site..... I am just like you I just got into deer hunting in the last 3 years before that it was all ducks...I grew up in Jeanerette but live in Walker now

PC, My lease is just south of Jeanerette near Cote Blanche. Both my parents are from Baldwin, so I kinda grew up runnin around that area fishing and killin stuff.

Roy, yea we eat good round here, & walking that marsh is no picnic. most of our stands we access via mudboat, but when you kill its usually a hell of a drag. I have another lease up in the swamps too... .45/70 country, beaucoup critters like you said. Lol

o ok...... I went to school at Hanson and I hunt in a lease by my mom and dads called 4-Bayou hunting club

Welcome, glad to have you here. Lots of good folks and lots of good info. Enjoy.

Very nice rifle trebark! Mine will look very similar.

My plan for the .280 AI is to to shoot the 140 Bergers & possibly the 168's if I ever head West with it to get that mule deer that haunts my dreams. Our little marsh deer rarely get to 200 lbs. on the hoof, been wreaking havoc on them for years with 100~115 grains through my .25-06... The 140's should clean house just fine.

Very nice rifle trebark! Mine will look very similar.

My plan for the .280 AI is to to shoot the 140 Bergers & possibly the 168's if I ever head West with it to get that mule deer that haunts my dreams. Our little marsh deer rarely get to 200 lbs. on the hoof, been wreaking havoc on them for years with 100~115 grains through my .25-06... The 140's should clean house just fine.

The 140's will certainly kill those deer and ballistically perform well to 500 yards. When your itch gets to shooting farther,check out the ballistics of the 168 going 2800. You can kill deer with that bullet at 1k.

As an FYI, be sure to get a 1:9 twist barrel. With that you will be able to stabilize the 180VLD if you want.

it's gonna be a 1:9... and if the 168's prove to be a more stable round than the 140's then that'll be my go to round.

Can't wait to figure it all out! :Dgun)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.