New co regs

Thats a dangerous game youre playing, on that same token the non hunting shooting community pay something like 4 to 1 into pittman-robertson. Quite plausible for them to say hunters and fisherman are benefiting from them footing the bill.

Thats a dangerous game youre playing, on that same token the non hunting shooting community pay something like 4 to 1 into pittman-robertson. Quite plausible for them to say hunters and fisherman are benefiting from them footing the bill.

Good point. This is really one of those things that has no perfect answer but I will say this that at some point if license prices go to high then it will price me out of the game. It already has for out of state hunts. I simply cannot afford to be paying $1000 for an elk tag.

Basically. I know that's part of the North American model of conservation but at some point hunting and fishing license costs will become too high if we need to continue to pay to benefit everyone else. Maybe there should be a wildlife photography license too or other things. People make the argument that photography doesn't "take" things from wildlife but I disagree. Hikers, bikers, photographers, etc all disrupt wildlife and we all see pictures of wildlife for sale meaning people are profiting off of wildlife paid for by hunters and fishermen.

Just my .02.
Exactly. This has always been campfire fodder. If you use the State Park, pay for your stay? Everybody need to start kickin' in round here!

Good point. This is really one of those things that has no perfect answer but I will say this that at some point if license prices go to high then it will price me out of the game. It already has for out of state hunts. I simply cannot afford to be paying $1000 for an elk tag.
I hear that. From the east coast this is a harsh reality for western hunts. Sometimes tag prices are a deciding factor

The first thing was the fishing license that was included with the big game tags. Now don't get me wrong where we usually hunt in unit 25 is right on the Colorado river so we do bring our poles and give it a try a time or 2 during the week, but we have also hunted places where there is no fish within 10 miles of where our camp was located. Plus what good does 2 fishing licensees do me the years I had both a Deer & Elk tag.
This year we are going out 2nd season and the way I read the new regulations I don't have to purchase the small game license when I call in August to buy my Elk tag over the phone, but when I apply for my preference points in March for next year I have to get it before starting my application.
Looks like we might have to start using our Wyoming points that we have been buying the last 6 years.
Sorry for the rambling....................JR

I've always had the view that CDOW, now centralized as CPW, historically did a great job of balancing the needs of wildlife, sportsmen and our industries, both private and public. The new fee increases are clearly an abuse of power. I just talked to a rep and she gave the weak reasoning about the fee and how it was for those "serious" about applying year in and out. Another Casual just shot that lame excuse down with the fact that it takes a long time to draw in as well as the license costs being what they are. Until rock climbers and others, whose sports have been historically dangerous and needing rescue/recovery often, start paying, they will continue to milk hunters and fishermen as it seems the needs are never ending.
I'd like to exhort anybody that has any say on these new fee increases, to write about this abuse of power to:
[email protected] (note the underscore)

sorry for the rant and have a good day

I've always had the view that CDOW, now centralized as CPW, historically did a great job of balancing the needs of wildlife, sportsmen and our industries, both private and public. The new fee increases are clearly an abuse of power. I just talked to a rep and she gave the weak reasoning about the fee and how it was for those "serious" about applying year in and out. Another Casual just shot that lame excuse down with the fact that it takes a long time to draw in as well as the license costs being what they are. Until rock climbers and others, whose sports have been historically dangerous and needing rescue/recovery often, start paying, they will continue to milk hunters and fishermen as it seems the needs are never ending.
I'd like to exhort anybody that has any say on these new fee increases, to write about this abuse of power to:
[email protected] (note the underscore)

sorry for the rant and have a good day

We pay search & rescue fee $0.25 per license and others do chip in

http://www.alpinerescueteam.org/support/corsar-card/

I move to Co 1977 and I buy fishing and small game every year to support both. I sure don't mind increase.

Just received the new CO big Game regulations in the mail the other day. Now it appears that before you can apply for the draw or preference points you must first purchase a small game license. Anyone else pick up on this or did I read it wrong.....................JR
Either small game or fishing will work, I always buy a small game for rabbits, dove and yote so it's not a big deal to me. I dont care for the preferred point fee for the "weighted tag" species but I know a cpw officer and he said that when the "messed up" (his words not mine) the fees last year by only collecting $3 for each tag processing fee- the number of applicants increased by over 800%, especially for non-res tags.
He said this pref point fee is their way of reducing the number of applicants to a more realistic level. He also told me that those fees may be lowered in a few years if it reduces the number of applicants too much, it's a trial and error method by the cpw

Nonresidents must buy the annual small game hunting license to qualify, fishing license won't get it. Most nonresidents like me are lucky to come out once a year for 1 big game season and can't take advantage of the small game tag. (On PUBLIC land by the way) The complimentary fishing tag with a big game tag does no good in the high desert. If you come out early to fish before you've received your tag you must buy at least a daily tag to legally fish. If nonresidents quit coming out resident tags will need to increase greatly to cover the bureaucracy created by joining the Parks with the cash cow DOW. I'm coming up on 70 yrs and in "no mans land" not enough points for a good GMU area and won't live long enough to draw a great area.

The license requirement before applying was needed imo. Brings CO inline with the other western states that require this exact same thing. I may be a resident in CO but in the other states I apply in I have to buy a licence before applying and most are more expensive then the CO non-res fee currently is. Colorado has been flooded with applications because it was cheap to put in for.

I just returned from the Western Hunting & Conservation Expo in Salt Lake City.

They were having a drawing for 200 tags, I was going to enter the drawing until I found out you had to buy a hunting Lic (in my case Non Res) to enter the drawing. Since I do not intend on hunting Utah, the entry fee for the drawing was the cost of the lic.....nope, not me.

I didn't even read far enough to see what kind of hunt they were giving away.

Just another way for the libs to suck money out of us.

I just returned from the Western Hunting & Conservation Expo in Salt Lake City.

They were having a drawing for 200 tags, I was going to enter the drawing until I found out you had to buy a hunting Lic (in my case Non Res) to enter the drawing. Since I do not intend on hunting Utah, the entry fee for the drawing was the cost of the lic.....nope, not me.

I didn't even read far enough to see what kind of hunt they were giving away.

Just another way for the libs to suck money out of us.

The entry fee was just a license fee? How much is a non res fee?

I didn't bother asking, someone said it was $65.00. Kind of turned me off.

All of these states have determined how much they can make off non res hunters and are not ashamed to bend you over.

We just booked an combo hunt in Montana for 2020, last year the Big Game tag was $1100+. When we buy the preference point this year and next, that will make the cost of the the tags $1240+ (that is if they don't go up again).

I managed a small chain of gun stores back in the 70's and early 80's. Guys would come in saying they are taking our guns. I always stated "They can't take them, but what they are doing is making very difficult to use them!" Yup, they are chipping away at our rights little by little by pricing us out.

Pretty sad that we are letting them get away with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.