New build and first

Wendet

I want to put together a new rifle I have never done this it will be a huntlong rifle in 300 win mag. I don't reload so factory ammo I want to either use a new action or find a tikka action not sure what would be more cost effective or better proof barrel and no idea on stock yet. so far I am good out to about 600 yards with lighter caliber rifles still looking to get better and want a larger caliber to grow with. I am looking for ideas and info, preferences and anything helpful
thanks

A couple of things from my experience.

1. Tikka actions are great to build off of, especially if you are looking at a long action or magnum cartridge. However, with the cost of them now, it is almost as cost effective to build off a Mack Bros, or similar action.
  2. For what you plan to do, there really isn't a need for a 300 Win Mag. The 7 PRC, 6.5 PRC, or dare I even say 6.5 Creed will get you to 600 with bullet speeds well above 1800 FPS, which will equate to effectiveness on game with a noticeable difference in recoil.
  3. Don't get hung up on Proof barrels. There are better. Also, while CF barrels are lighter than their equally profiled steel counterparts, a Proof Sendero CF and a Bartlein 3B are very similar. I prefer smaller profile steel barrel myself. Flute them to shave a little more.
  4. As for stocks, there are tons of options out there, but unless you really like to wait, McMillan and Manners would be where I looked last. Check their "ready to ship" section. If you do go Tikka, then my recommendation is a Stocky's Vertical Grip stock. Great value for the money. They are in development for an even more effective stock, so depending on when your build comes together, it may be available.

My rabbit hole started when a buddy traded a lijia barrel in 30 cal. He had planned on a 300 wm. I had an extra 700 action sitting around so it seemed like the thing to do. In hindsight I would have been way better off buying an action that takes prefits. I now use a 6cm way more just because the kid likes to shoot it more, I can use srp brass to reload, less recoil, and it takes way less powder🤷🏻‍♂️ all that to say if you got some custom action with changeable bolt faces you may like it.

tikka is my current favorite action bar none, but I would just do a 6.5prc personally

They will be fine for a win mag at saami spec, but if you get into reloading and want to use really high bc bullets it will hamstring you with coal in a long magnum

Wendet, Congrats on your "getting your feet wet" in the custom rifle game!

You "may" not be a hand loader "now", but to get the most from your new build…..you "WILL" be a hand loader pretty soon! memtb

I want to put together a new rifle I have never done this it will be a huntlong rifle in 300 win mag. I don't reload so factory ammo I want to either use a new action or find a tikka action not sure what would be more cost effective or better proof barrel and no idea on stock yet. so far I am good out to about 600 yards with lighter caliber rifles still looking to get better and want a larger caliber to grow with. I am looking for ideas and info, preferences and anything helpful
thanks
The .300 WM is an excellent choice of cartridge and factory ammo support - plenty of options. This depends on your budget and if you are doing a DIY. Your choice of action will determine its DIY friendliness. I have built semi-custom rifles for under $1K and are shooters to 1KY if I do my part. Start with a realistic budget for your build.

The .300 WM is an excellent choice of cartridge and factory ammo support - plenty of options. This depends on your budget and if you are doing a DIY. Your choice of action will determine its DIY friendliness. I have built semi-custom rifles for under $1K and are shooters to 1KY if I do my part. Start with a realistic budget for your build.
^ this is the answer

My first full build I bought a Zermatt origin in long action with magnum bolt face (buckeye optics) with trigger tech primary trigger for $1000 I think, action wrench from Southern precision rifles, Pmc barrel vice, proof pre-fit 300 wm, and a Peak 44 stock. Now I just buy barrels for the most part.

300 wm will do everything you want it to do plus, factory ammo has a great selection, and you can grow with it