New Broughton barrel on my 338 rum

D.Camilleri

Well, after months of waiting, I have my new broughton barrel on my 338 rum and I have started breaking it in. I have to admit that I am learning new things daily, and what I learned while having this new barrel put on is that my last barrel was done very poorly. Live and learn. My old barrel was a douglas premium 4160 chrome moly, the chamber is slightly over sized, so none of my old brass will work with my new barrel.

So far the results are looking very good for the broughton. It doesn't appear to be very finicky, however I have had to back off powder charges due to the tight chamber. So far, I have been shooting NAB 225's with 96.5 gr of H 1000 at about 3050 up to 98.5 at about 3175. Groups are between 5/8 and 3/4 so far, and that could be me. I am using a lead sled, but the rear of it is kind of sloppy and lets it move.The barrel is a 1 in 9.3 twist and it is starting to break in. Sure looks pretty on the inside with a bore scope!

My Broughton 30BR is great! Very little scrubbing needed on break in. Now have 400 or so pills thru the tube and copper fouling is minimal. This is a fine cut rifled barrel.

My Broughton 30BR is great! Very little scrubbing needed on break in. Now have 400 or so pills thru the tube and copper fouling is minimal. This is a fine cut rifled barrel.

Ummm...pretty sure they are pull buttoned, not cut rifled....

Yes they are button pulled, but it is a 5c canted land barrel. The break in that I have followed is 1 shot then clean for first 10, then 3 shots and clean. I am up to 20 rounds right now and think I have found a winner. 97 grains of reloader 25 is producing 3290 and under .500 If I can duplicate this, I will have my load for now, this combo produces plenty of whompom stompom for the distances I can shoot.

I might try some 300 smk's after I try some long shots with the 225's. I also have some 250 gr sierra's to play with, but I like the flat shooting of the super fast 225.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.