New bow hunter!

Red Sparky

For about the past five years I have really wanted to get into bow hunting. Reading all the forums and bow hunting articles I could find. Recently the wife told me I had $1000.00 to spend on a new gun. Love the wife but since I have all the guns and muzzle loaders I want for the moment I went to the pro shop. Walked out with a Hoyt, WB rest, Tru Glo 5 pin sight, Scott Shark release, and 1/2 dozen Warrior arrows with field tips. Shot it at the pro shop and love it. Tomorrow I am setting up the 20 yard -70 yard archery range in the back yard. Looking forward to being able to put in for an archery tag next year.

Wife told me as long as I was happy with what I bought. I told her to quote Duck Dynasty I was "Happy! Happy! Happy!".

Have fun bow hunting. There's something very special when you can smell the deer as you shoot.

One tip to increase your success: learn to paper tune your bow. When the arrow flies straight, it makes everything else easier.

They are fun to shoot, I have a newer Bear compound and few older bear recurves. I really like to shoot the recurves more but the compound is as accurate as any rifle in its own ranges. Enjoy!

I am really looking forward to elk hunting during the rut. Usually with the smoke pole they are done. Have hit the rut twice in early October with the ML and it was a blast. I felt under gunned when at the bow shop other hunters were asking about 70-100 yard shots with their bows. That is about the distance I like the T/C at. I want to get closer so look forward to less than 40 yards to let the arrow fly. Good thing I don't have an addictive personality or I could be hooked for life :D Last night I had to buy an Ameristep doghouse blind. Will help with the daughters and now I have another excuse to use it. Already looking for bow case, quiver, and any other gadget I might need.

That is what I learned about muzzle loader hunting, just get the basics. All I need to hunt with the bow is a lot of practice and broad heads. Today I figured out if I spend enough time practicing and get good enough I can carry my bow during my muzzle loader hunt we drew this year. My 13 year old daughter and I go Oct. 19th. Bows are legal during ML season but not the other way around. That way daughter has first shot with ML and if she passes then I get to try and sneak in with the bow. Only handicap is during ML season I have to kill a mature bull where archery is either sex. New blind should be here by the end of the week so I can get it set up in back yard and sprayed down with scent killer.

Hit the 3-D course as much as possible in preparation for the real thing. Study anatomy and make sure you know where the kill shots are!!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.